+ Reply to Thread

Thread: straightness of blank

Default straightness of blank

I recently bought a five rivers blank -- 9ft, 6wt, 4 piece. When I assemble the sections, it seems there is a slight bend in the second section from the tip that sends the tip section a little out of alignment when it is assembled. This section also doesn't seem to lay flat on the table (no guides attached or ferrules wraped yet) but rolls to a certain spot. Hence, another check than just visually sighting down the blank.

Does this make any difference?? I like the blank alot -- very light. Can they replace just one section or does the entire blank need to be replaced? I already have the reel seat and handle in place.

Looking forward you your advice and comments.

It really should be straight, have you tried rotating the section to achieve a straight fit? If you can't do that I would be concerned that you have a mismatched section. Some of these graphite pros may be able to tell you more.

If it is a Dan Craft, I'd call him first. He can give you suggestions or replacement.

I had similar problems with a Cabela's Stowaway blank. I was able to achieve an acceptable straightness by rotating the joints.

I put masking tape each side of the ferrule and marked it with a pen for a reference line, then rotated the joint in 10 degree increments until the rod eye balled straight.

Rotate the sections for straightness.
    The section that is bent, make it curve up, away from the guides, the weight of the guides, and line will make it unnoticeable.

I once built a Loomis IMX blank (known for crookedness)...this thing had compound bends and dog legs in it. I was able to wrap it almost straight by rotation and guide placement.

I called Dan Craft and explained the problem. He was very helpful and took care of the problem immediately.

He is a great guy to deal with and has been very helpful.

Definitely a great guy to work with. Not to mention terrific blanks.
    BTW, what blank series did you pick up? SigV, FT, FTL...? I have a Sig V 3/4 wt that is my favorite rod.

OleBlue -- The Sig. V in a 9ft, 6 wt., 4 pieces. I was please with Craft -- I haven't been building rods for long -- this is my second one and first one from Dan Craft -- so I didn't know what to expect from them as a vendor. He could not have been any easier to deal with. I will definitely work with him again.

Dan will help you out! I've built several of his rods (not any of the new Sig V's) and every one was straighter than an arrow. I'm surprised that one got through. If Dan says it's OK I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Regards!

+ Reply to Thread