+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pheasant Tail

I tie PTN with different colors of PT feathers. Also at times I take I barb of several colors ad tie a PTN.
    Also use Turkey feather to make a darker nymph.
    Called TURKEY TAL NYMPH
    Have also used ostrich for the thorax.
    All have worked.
    Rick

Blog Entries

This is an old, grainy video of Frank Sawyer tying.
    I think you will note that he uses only copper wire....no thread for the "real" PT Nymph.

http://youtu.be/416Os9V84n8

Blog Entries

Byron,

I have tied some that way, using only the pheasant tail and copper wire. I do prefer to use very fine copper wire when I tie them. But, most of the time I use thread.

Larry ---sagefisher---

The pheasant tail as we know it, using peacock herl for the thorax, is sometimes designated as the American Pheasant Tail Nymph to distinguish it from Sawyer's PTN.

Blog Entries

Steven,
    Sorta my point. Discussion above about calling a variation of a fly by the original name (when it's different) and yet, the example of the original PT Nymph wasn't explained............
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 06-02-2014 at 07:18 PM.

I'm with Allan on this.
    Calling a dry with light dun tails, a yellowish body, and light dun hackle and wings a BWO doesn't work for me.

There's a line out there somewhere.

Boy I truly appologize for my blatant mistake on the PTN. From everything I had seen that was how you tied the PTN. However I didn't use any pheasant tail in my pattern, but rather two different types of thread for the body with either peacock herl thorax, or mahogany mottled nymph dubbing. My purpose in the title was not necessarily to mean it's a PTN, but rathee a different variation. I will fish them and see which one I like most and see which one I like and rename it as to avoid confusion, but if I were to simply post the fly by another name maybe no one knows what it's auppossd to replicate. I'm not near as good a tier as most on this forum and seldom share my thoughts or ideas because I'm very self conscience of my work. I did this because I actually really liked the final product, and figured I could get some ideas from other tiers. Maybe i should just stick to furling. I appreciate the different ideas some have shared.

Cheers
    Brandon

Blog Entries

Brandon,

Not to worry Brandon, no need to apologize. There are hundreds if not thousands of flies that bear the name of the original designs yet have been artfully changed to fit a need. I have a whole fly box that I call my "Adams Family" that has dozens of Adams fly variations from dry to wet to emerger to nymph. That is what we do, take a fly an adjust it to our needs or likes or whims. Keep on tying and furling both.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Brandon,
    Your versions look fine. My mentioning the original Pheasant Tail was in response, not to your flies, but the posts about not calling variations by the name of the original. And yet, I don't think I have ever seen an original PT Nymph here......

Thank you guys I appreciate the support. I really love tying, and wish I had more time to play.

Tight lines
    Brandon

+ Reply to Thread