+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Gloves

Default Fishing Gloves

It was 45 degrees out. Wind was 22 mph out of the north across the pond.
    Froze my hand handling the line.
    What are the fishing gloves that you would recommend?
    Even though the fish are called warmwater specdies the water was cold.

Rick

I've got a pair of fleece, fingerless gloves that work pretty well in the kind of weather you described. Below freezing, they don't really cut it, although they're better than nothing.

Regards,
    Scott

Second on the fleece fingerless gloves - mine came from Orvis and are really good down to the temperature when I'm too cold to fish.

Cliff

Blog Entries

Rick,

I wear a variety of fingerless gloves based how the time of year, but I always wear the gloves anytime I am out on the water.

For summer fishing I use either the Sun Glove or the Buff glove made out of cloth and they have leather type palms.

For late fall I use the Simms Windstopper gloves.

For winter, I always take three pair of gloves with me and they are the Simms Windstopper, and a warmer fleece glove with neoprene type palms made by Kenai plus I always take a pair of wool fingerless gloves as well. By the way, those heat packs that react to the moister in the air work really well stuffed inside the glove against the back of your hand as long as you can keep your hand out of the water. That is for really cold fishing down in the 6F to 25F degree range.

Buy yourself a pair that fits your needs and always use them.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I got by fine with fingerless wool gloves.

Even better were the wool fingerless gloves that convert to mittens.

I've heard some people wear latex gloves under wool gloves. I tried that once, but found my hands would sweat too much under the latex. I also tried neoprene gloves , but they were way too bulky for fly fishing.

I guess that everybody is different in regards to which gloves are best for them. For me, it doesn't matter which type of fingerless gloves I wear, because with exposed fingertips my hands are always as cold as not wearing any gloves at all. As a result, I found that an inexpensive lightweight polar fleece glove works best for me. Even when I get it wet, I simply ring it out and continue to wear it, and it still keeps my hands warmer then if I were wearing fingerless gloves.

I have a pair of fishing gloves called 3/2 Windstopper. Your thumb and next 2 fingers are exposed down to the first joint on both hands. They keep my hands warm and on very cold days, I insert one of the Hand Warmer packs inside the gloves on the top of my hands. My thoughts are that if I can keep the blood in the veins on the top of my hands warm, maybe my fingers will stay warmer and I think it is working.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have two pair of Kenai fingerless gloves and love them for cold weather fishing! (Ice fishing and fly fishing) fleece back, rubber palms. They are worth a look!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    I have two pair of Kenai fingerless gloves and love them for cold weather fishing! (Ice fishing and fly fishing) fleece back, rubber palms. They are worth a look!
    Those are the ones I have. Only problem with mine are the velcro straps on the back - tag ends are too long and my line gets tangled on occasion; need to cut them back.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott, I have found that annoying as well.... I generally tuck them into my coat sleeve.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread