+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak fishing.

Default Kayak fishing.

Being a new kayak owner, I read Jim Hatch's article on kayak fishing with great interest. Now that I own a kayak, I wonder how I ever lived without one.

My perspective is a little different since I fish mostly in salt, but the principles are the same. I can now reach areas that would be impossible wading, I can stalk moving schools of fish, and I can easily get to some of the most peaceful areas in the world, even though I live in the most densely populated county in Florida.

An added benefit is meeting new people. Kayak fishermen are a lot like fly fishermen. Its like having a second family.

If you haven't tried a kayak, just do it.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Hey Dunfly,

I couldn't agree more. Kayaking has
    a lot going for it. One thing is the expense is much less than many other options. Another is that the government
    could care less about paddle craft. No
    hands reaching out for annual registration
    and personal property taxes. But mostly,
    they are just so darned much fun!*G* Couple
    that with a low impact exercise that actually IS fun, you've got a recipe that
    may well add years of enjoyment to your
    life.*G* Warm regards, Jim

The statement about a kayak costing about the same as a new rod is a good one.
    A few years ago I talked a friend out of buying a new rod and spending the money on a yak instead.
    He has gotten more out of using the kayak than he would having yet another rod in the back of the closet.
    I love fishin' from my yak, can't wait to get it in the water.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hey Jim,

Here in Ohio the government does care! We must register a canoe/kayak the same as another watercraft.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Great article and Yes I'm searching. The Ocean Kayak Prowler 15.4 SOT is learking heavily on my mind.

Is there a wet suit that keeps you warm and dry?? (for the colder New England waters)

Dunfly, enjoyed our brief meeting at the fish-in, hope to see you again.

Philip

------------------
    I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage of development the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. Then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long.' - Allison Moir.

I wonder if he ever fished Saltwater
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hey Geezer,

Looks like FAOL just got a new sponsor
    on board. Kayak Pro Shop. Looks like they
    have the wet/dry suits your referring to. [url=http://www.kayakproshop.com/:af4f5]http://www.kayakproshop.com/[/url:af4f5]
    Warm regards, Jim

Hey Kaboom,

That smells as bad as 3 day old sun
    dried carp. How on earth do they get off
    charging you for kayak registration. A new
    low in my book.*G* Arrrggghhh!!! I guess
    next you'll have to register your waders.
    Warm regards, Jim

I too love my kayak for fishing. I've fished in lakes, ponds and the salt. I never go out in a kayak without a rod. Especially in the salt always troll. I have caught Stripers and Bluefish with great regularity. It gives me cardiovascular fitness and a fish all at the same time. Catch or not, I gain.

I also love the ability to get into those areas on ponds where other vehicles cannot go. It changes the odds in my favor.

FYI, I am a Pungo lover. It is a 14' kayak that is light and a nice mix between easy to turn and able to track. It handles well in the salt and because it has high sides I rarely get wet.

I have added a 1/2 skirt to keep me dry, but allow me to not get stuck if I tip. I also have a rod holder and this year I am adding an anchor system. It will consist of a spring loaded cam release to hold the anchor line and a carabiner for the line to run through. Simple and effective.

jed

Jed what about wet outfit, you don't get cold around plymouth, humarock, etc. I mean Ice cube water , even in the summer. I'm an old Milton Boy , spend my visits in the summer at Humarock.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I will be new to Kayak fishing this spring and I'm really looking forward to it I saw one of the Hobie Mirage Outback kayaks in action and knew that I had to have one. This is the kayak that has peddles and allows you to keep your hands free. I shopped around quite a bit since they are very proud of them and found a used one locally for a good price. I'll let ouu know how it turns out after I've given it a couple of spins around the lake.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread