+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone furling with braid

Hybrid View

Default Anyone furling with braid

Just curious if any of you furling fanatics are furling with braid such as PowerPro?

I wonder how a leader furled from 5lb PowerPro would fare for musky and pike fishing?

thanks
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Nope...don't need a tow strap.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Nope...don't need a tow strap.
    But you can always hope you will. Being towed around a lake by a big fish can be lots of fun.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

They are quite a bit stiffer than thread or mono but when you are throwing 6-8 inch rats who cares!!! The abrasion resistance is outstanding and you have zero stretch so it is a sensitive leader. Be careful, the 6-8 wt leaders I make from Power Pro have about a 60lb theoretical breaking strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    Just curious if any of you furling fanatics are furling with braid such as PowerPro?

I wonder how a leader furled from 5lb PowerPro would fare for musky and pike fishing?

thanks

5lb braid! The leader would be HUGE! Maybe for Salt water. I don't furl with anything over 2 lb.

Normally, but 5# Power Pro is smaller than 2# monofilament.

.005 is small.

I did a few with #50 lb. power pro used a loop in each end of a line attached to a cup holder, spun one way then connected second loop from drill and placed with first on cup holder reversed drill. made a nice small dia. leader about 7 feet long with a nice taper..added a 6" 3 or 4x piece of mono to end then added tippet. great for small streams.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Not really. I routinely use .003" mono.

Crotalus,

Here is my opinion and I already know it is not worth much, but, I feel too many people put to much thought into the breaking strength of a Furled Leader. It is the tippet breaking point that is most important since your fly is attached to the tippet and not the Furled Leader. The concern should be on the tippet breaking before the Furled Leader or rod. The flex of the fly rod and the reel drag is what will wear out a large fish. I feel that most who enjoy using Furled Leaders, enjoy them because they outlast a tappered mono/fluorocarbon leader and they will turn-over a longer tippet and fly. I do understand why some use PowerPro, Spiderwire and other material and that is because of the strength of that material, but, a good Furled Leader also needs some stretch so that it will protect the tippet and rod. The teeth of musky and pike will come into play on the tippet and not the Furled Leader so a good Furled Leader should have some stretch and be able to turn-over larger flies to these fish.

Just my opinion and nothing more.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread