+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OKUMA HELIOS FLY REEL

Default OKUMA HELIOS FLY REEL

Anyone had any experience with the OKUMA HELIOS FLY REEL?

A friend of mine got to test one before they came out, he's a machinist and knows a quality reel when he sees it. Anyways, he was petty impressed with it.

I picked one up last February and so far, so good. I have played and landed Rainbows up to 4lbs on the 5/6 and it has performed perfectly. I am actually considering the larger 8/9 for my Steelhead set-up.
    I would give it a two thumbs up!

Not a bad reel, the first of their reels to be machined rather than die-cast. Understand they are made in Germany.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member [url=http://www.ukbass.com:a5b83]www.ukbass.com[/url:a5b83]
    [url=http://jamiercgriff.blogspot.com:a5b83]http://jamiercgriff.blogspot.com[/url:a5b83]

I've been using one for about 8 months now and like it a lot I have the large arbor model and really like the quick line pick up ability. The largest trout I've caught with it so far has been between 4 and 5 lbs. The reel handled the fish easily.

OK here's my take....and it's going to be herasy....because I picked it over the Orvis BBS...

They are selling on Ebay in the $100 range...auctions...but retail may be different ballgame.... I had a chance to handle both before I bought and didn't think the Orvis came close...obviously MO....

Drag seems smooth and reeling is really smooth...so far only used on 19 -20" trout...

My understanding is that the Co. decided to come out with a better quality fly reel than they had and that they really paid attention to machining....

No ax to grind here just letting my friends know about something that may be under the radar screen.

I picked up a 7/8 Helios and love it. The drag is smooth, and it picks up line very quickly. I actually have the 7/8 reel on a six weight rod. I've land 4-5 lb. smallmouth and some 7 - 10 lb. steelhead with it and it performed wonderfully.

The only criticism I have (if you can call it that) is that the drag is a little too responsive. A click or two in the wrong direction, and line just peels from the reel. However, if you know what you're fishing for, set the drag appropriately and there shouldn't be any problems.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Mann (edited 19 July 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread