Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
You have a first generation, Orvis "Clearwater" then. Made in Manchester, VT, and built with the 1st generation Orvis graphite on the early famous tapers. My first fly rod is a 99 vintage Orvis Clearwater 8'6" five weight. Same fullflexing blank as the Superfine "Henry's Fork". Your rod is most likey the Orvis "Performer" taper. Great rods, and hard to find new rods that would come close to duplicating those actions. If you really like that sort of Orvis feel, and don't mind the cosmetics of the Orvis un-sanded blanks, you may be able to locate an 8' 4wt 2pc Orvis Silver Label rod for probably under $200. Another very snappy 4 wt was the Silver Label 7'11" mid-flex(my second Orvis fly rod). The Orvis "western" 8' 4wt is a dandy too. I am a big fan of the unsanded Orvis rods as you can tell. I have a 7'9" Far and Fine of 1986 vintage with an uplocking reel seat for sale. Of course it is a 5 wt, but it fishes as light or as gentle as any modern med-fast 7'6"-8' 4wt out there today.

aa
Thanks for all this info. I really like my Clearwater. I just bought a new Clearwater in a 7' 4wt. Can't wait to get it and see how it compares to my first generation.

Thanks to everyone for their insight. Merry Christmas!