+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sucker!

Default Sucker!

A little over a month ago a young man (or so he self described himself) asked for fly tying advice and if anyone would be willing to send him some materials. Although I should have known better, the guys posts were his first few on the site, I sent him a bunch of stuff. I did get a 'thank you' and that's almost all I really expected. I thought he might post some follow-up about his improvement or things he was experiencing and learning. I guess my expectations were too high. Anyhow, this is just my own personal short rant. I don't know if anyone else sent that person anything and I really don't feel too bad about it. I've fortunately plenty to spare. But I won't fall for that kind of request again. Was I a sucker? Anyone else fall for that guys request/scam?

Allan

Allan,
    I think you'll find MANY members here who have responded to "starters" of tying/flyfishing, and have, in good faith, packaged up materials, books, reels and, yes, in some cases, rods, to give this new-bie a good start ... and never heard from them again. Guess the operative words here are, "in good faith". I feel pretty sure, if we watched e-bay diligently, we'd find the stuff we sent. We'll ... whatcha gunna do? I'm always hopeful.

Then I go shopping for more stuff!!
    Betty
    Oh ... while I'm thinking of it, it's not just here on this site. I even was taken in by a European site where a guy wanted to trade turkey feathers for wax. I carefully wrapped and shipped a wonderful turkey tail to this person, and he thanked me, but, nope! No wax, no nada! He dropped off the face of the Earth! Oh, well!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

The real loser is the person that took advantage of your generosity. To live one's life taking advantage of others is to live a miserable and despicable existence.

I think most of use that care about new folks getting ready to tye have been dooped. There was a fellow on another board that I sent a hat full of stuff to. He did thank me, I think. Anyway after following him for a while on the board and his tying it turned out he had more $$$ than I do.

Count me in among the duped. Happened on this board a few years ago. I tend to believe in Karma, so expect he'll get his someday.

I am always skeptical of anyone who has the nerve to ask for something from a stranger.
    I did get a furled leader from Betty a few years ago after I posted a thread about having bought one and was impressed with it. I loved her furled leader and told her so. That act of kindness got me into furling my own leaders and I now give them away to the few fly fisherman I run into around here.
    What I'm getting to is that not all acts of kindness are taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by turvy View Post
    I am always skeptical of anyone who has the nerve to ask for something from a stranger.
    I did get a furled leader from Betty a few years ago after I posted a thread about having bought one and was impressed with it. I loved her furled leader and told her so. That act of kindness got me into furling my own leaders and I now give them away to the few fly fisherman I run into around here.
    What I'm getting to is that not all acts of kindness are taken for granted.
    T, you are correct. I have been the recipient of many folks with their generosity. From furled leaders, wax and other tying materials. As a result I will probably continue to send stuff to folks.

Turvy,
    Bless your heart! Thank you! This is one reason I continue to do what I do ... pay it forward!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Allan,
    You may have gotten scammed or taken for granted. I think it's happened to a lot of people on this particular board, and it's happened to me more than once. I don't volunteer materials to every newbie that is looking for whatever he/she can get. I tend to be more open to sharing with people who have legitimate neeeds. As others have shared, even those with needs are here today and gone tomorrow once they have what they are looking for. Personally, I give in good faith, and ultimately that is enough for me. I can remember when I first started tying and I was gathering materials. I have been helped incredibly by many on this board. That type of generosity is infectious and spreads. Maybe that's why every now and then when those who give from the goodness of their hearts are simply being taken. I'll continue to help others when I can, even if I get taken from time to time. Big shout out to all you folks who have liberally shared with myself and others through the years.

Greg

I was also dupped here several years ago. I offered to restore a guys "grandfathers" bamboo rod. The thing was a project. needed a total redo, two scarfs, new ferrules rewrap and varnish. I probably had 20+ hours into it not counting parts. we had agreed on a price which was about 1/4 of what I usually charge. rod was finished I contacted the guy, "checks in the mail" 3 weeks later oh yea I forgot then another 3 weeks and he says it must be lost in the mail. I waited 6 months after that and tried to contact him several times. no reply. the rods been sitting in the corner for 2 years.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

+ Reply to Thread