+ Reply to Thread

Thread: F-C Meramec River Chest Pack

Default F-C Meramec River Chest Pack

I'm curious if anyone has one and what are your thoughts? I don't like chest packs but would use it as a lumbar pack. I am intriged by the two water bottle holders plus the pouch and forcep holder on the belt.

I have tried Fishpond's Blue River and even the Orvis Sling pack and always keep going back to my vest. But the older I get I can see the need to lighten my load. Not that I carry that much in my vest to begin with, I just feel more organized. I do have a Recycled Waders Big Fanny that I use when fishing rivers for smallmouth and also when I go to Florida's Gulf Coast, but I am not carrying as much as when I am trout fishing.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Check out Moutinsmith lumbar packs. These are small day packs that ride low on your back. You can get a set of shoulder straps for them too. I carry one working on trails. It is big enough for rain gear, lunch, first aid, and has water pockets. Check out 1 liter Platypus bottles.

I switched to a Fishpond Waterdance pack several years ago and am very happy with it. I haven't used the F-C pack you mentioned, but it looks similar. I find that my Waterdance holds plenty. I routinely carry 4 medium size fly boxes, small camera, small first aid / repair kit, water bottle and all of the usual accessories. I still have room to stuff in an apple and sandwich and a rain jacket if I really want to. For me, having the weight carried on my hips rather than on my shoulders / upper back makes a big difference in reducing backaches.

I used a chest vest for years, but got to the point where I really need to see where my feet are going. The first fanny pack I got turned out to carry too much of its weight horizontally out from my body and got really uncomfortable. The second one was more vertical, and was OK for comfort. I finally decided I missed the convenience of having more stuff in front where I could easily reach it, so I'm back to using a vest.

If you are considering a lumbar pack, I suggest buying it from a shop where they'll let you first test it out by loading it with the stuff you plan to carry in it then try it on.

Like Brad I too always keep coming back to wearing a vest. Which is what I have decided to stick with. I am going to go through mine and take out those items that I carry that I seldom if ever use.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread