Thread: over-lining a rod, or how to turn a 6wt into an 8wt?

Threaded View

What Charlie said basically.

I use 9wt rods and shooting heads extensively for west coast stripers as well inshore saltwater saltwater fishing. I use either 11wt 30ft shooting heads looped to intermediate shooting lines. Or if using integrated lines that have a head factory mated with the shooting line ( e.g. Teeny, SA Streamer Express and similar) I will use a 350 grain line. Occasionally I will go heavier or lighter.

The general rule of thumb for shooting heads of around 30 ft in length is to go up about 2 line sizes from the rod's rating. So for a 9wt rod that would be an 11wt head or 350 grain integrated line. The reason for uplining by about 2 is that rods in this range are typically load optimally with 40 ft or so of the rated WF line extended. With a shooting head or most integrated head lines you only extend the head and a bit of the shooting line outside the tip for the cast so you don't have that additional mass from the belly and back taper of the extended WF line.

I prefer coated shooting lines, either floating or intermediate of about .030" diameter, most of the time for ease of handling but will sometimes use mono shooting lines for extreme distance or very deep presentations.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 05-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.