I have been tying on a rotary for about 7 or 8 years and can do all the 'regular' winding stuff (dubbing, dubbing loops, ribbing, hackle, placement of wings, Clousers, etc.) At the Winter Hatches Tying Symposium where I have been an assistant to the star tiers for the last 3 or 4 years, I have often coached individuals in short 5 minute sessions on the essentials of rotary technique. It surprises me the number of tiers who have a rotary vise and don't use that feature!
So this year I will be leading some full-length sessions on rotary technique. The flies will not be all that special because the focus is to get tiers to get into the new habit of rotating. However I need some advanced techniques for those already using a rotary (for example) on woolly buggers or nymph bodies.
I have emailed Al Beatty about his video and book, and will probably buy one but not both. His reply to date is that neither show using the rotary to make dubbing brushes. This is the kind of 'advanced' use I seek. Along this line, I am trying to develop a plan to use the rotary function to make whip finishes for instance (not going so well).
The next Symposium isn't until February, but I do have to create the lesson details by Xmas. Any links to webpages or YouTube videos that you can provide are gratefully received.
Thanks in advance, Greg