+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What general style of pattern do you use for a mayfly dun hatch?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default What general style of pattern do you use for a mayfly dun hatch?

I would like to take a poll of this, but don't seem able to do so.
    What I am after is the general style of pattern, I.e.
    Standard up wing/catskil type
    Parachute
    Paraloop
    Comparadun
    Sparkle dun
    Cut wing/burnt wing
    Etc, etc

Not looking for emerger patterns, floating nymphs, etc

Thank you,
    Byron

LTD
    Haystack
    Thorax

Generally in that order

Blog Entries

Whatever version of this matches the hatch:

Sparkle Dun
    parachute
    the usual
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

There is a spring creek fishing theory--popular with many spring creek and tailwater guides--that says "change pattern if you get multiple refusals from any regularly rising fish."

But change to what?

If you change to any other fly, regardless the shape profile, if the new pattern has the right size and the right colors, you will increase your chances. I believe that theory. I believe shape (up wing, spent wing, cripple, half-hatched emerger, etc) does not matter much. What does matter is size and color. In the surface film, riding high, flopped over, upside down, trailing a shuck, it doesn't much matter. But size and color do matter. That's what my circle of guiding buddies have always said. And so it seems to be. If a particular fish has refused your sparkle dun 3 or 4 times in a row, switch to almost anything else, as long as the new fly has the right size and the right color you'll have a better chance of a hookup.

If you watch a thick hatch in action (that's hard to do when you are the fisherman, and easier when you are the butler....I mean guide) you see all manner of profiles: with a shuck, without a shuck, upright, drowned and spent wing, one wing crumpled, legs still trapped in the shuck, on its side, half emerged, still largely nymph like because most of the body is still inside the shuck....in the surface film or on it. The fish don't seem to care what it looks like. If it's the right overall size and vaguely the right color they take it.

But if the wing or the body is substantially the wrong color or way too bright, and most of all if the dimple is too big, then they do refuse. I've watched fish cruise up and down in repeating elliptical circuits picking off every natural dimple that comes along, regardless the profile. My fishing experience supports that too. Changing from Sparkle Dun to emerger, or to spent wing, or to no-hackle often seems to change the response of a refusing fish. My speculation is that it was the change in profile that changed the fish's response. And that any one of a number of new profiles would have worked just as well. That's what they all told me when I first started working as a spring creek guide at George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler: "Hey Sandy, don't forget to change flies when they refuse!"

The interesting thing about that claim--if you believe it--is that it substantially discounts the importance of any one particular pattern. If you do believe that claim, then the important thing is to have a rich variety of patterns in your box, and to cycle through them, almost randomly, all day long.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 08-15-2011 at 08:31 AM.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/sschwa..._spent_bwo.htm

Usually something like above, except I now almost exclusively use Wonder Wings instead of traditional hackle tips.

If I don't have this on, then I'll either use a Wonder Wing parachute or a tradtional parachute with a post of turkey flats or T-base.

Blog Entries

Pittendrigh,

Interesting post. I guess we all have our beliefs about what a trout reacts to and is attracted to.
    My belief, for what it's worth is that there are certain triggers a fish is looking for in a potential food source. If these triggers are met, it takes the object. When I was in Air Force ROTC back in the 60's, we had to sit and look at slides of the sillouhettes of various aircraft over and over. We were to quickly identify a "MIG" aircraft out of quickly changing slides. The intent was to develop a quick identification response from us.
    I think trout are similar in that respect. So, there are probably 4 main characteristics which accompany a floating insect or imitation: Shape, Size, Color, and "behavior". I could check the literature to be sure, but it is my understanding that a trout's color vision is not the best - primarily due to light conditions in the water environment they live in. Something floating which is 3 X the size of what a trout has been eating would probably rule the object out for them. Likewise, a wingless object (when all the insects they have eaten had wings) might be a turn-off.

Just my opinion, but I believe size, behavior, shape, and color in that order are what the trout uses for its triggers. Behavior is probably the second most important factor. If you don't believe that, try catching a trout without a drag-free float.

Of course, if there is a complex hatch going on, you have to first identify which insect (thus pattern) the trout are keying on. I think that sometimes leads fishermen to think the pattern does not matter. They change patterns a lot and perhaps catch a trout on the third pattern. It may well be that there are 3 different insects hatching and he finally used the pattern that the fish are keying on.

Would enjoy hearing what others think.
    Byron
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-15-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Steven,

Excellent pattern. Could make me change my ways.

If there is a mayfly hatch going on I usually use a wee spider tied on a dry fly hook so it fishes in or slightly under the surface film. Something to be said for flies that still take fish after being in use for several hundred years. I carry many sizes and colors of spiders and flymphs so getting close in size and color is usually not a problem.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I would like to take a poll of this, but don't seem able to do so.
    What I am after is the general style of pattern, I.e.
    Standard up wing/catskil type
    Parachute
    Paraloop
    Comparadun
    Sparkle dun
    Cut wing/burnt wing
    Etc, etc

Not looking for emerger patterns, floating nymphs, etc

Thank you,
    Byron
    Byron, I would be of the Sparkle Dun school, but I think its a crossover emerger due to the shuck. I have settled on a particular style of emerger that I prefer during the time the duns are on the water, due to its effectiveness at helping those picky fish decide to eat. I know you were specific about not listing emergers, but this is my most effective fly when duns are present, next would be a Sparkle Dun, followed by a parachute Adams. Here is a pic or two. Some call it a Smokejumper, but in my research of the original Smokejumper fly, this is quite different. I call these Parasol Jumpers:

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Kelly,

That's the same situation with the LTD pattern. It's my go-to pattern for duns, yet is an emerger pattern with a shuck.

+ Reply to Thread