+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light weight, packable rain wear????

Question Light weight, packable rain wear????

Getting ready to go back to Belize. Need a good, light weight, packable rain top, bottoms not required unless have to buy the set. Any advice on what to get? Thanks!

Blog Entries

call me crazy but i like the good ole army set. tops and bottoms the pack small are rugged and breath.

I have Cabela's packable nylon rain suit, pants and jacket, and have had them for over six years. they have severed me VERY well and are not expensive. China, Alaska twice, Victoria BC, hunting ,just to name a few places they have been. They pack into apporximately 4"x6"x 3 or 4" pouch with belt loops. the pouch is one of the jacket pockets. Now, I also have an army surplus pouncho that stays in my truck.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 05-31-2011 at 11:36 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Go with Patagonia or Marmot. They make these Membrane shells that are totally bomber and will pack down to really well and are really light. I know there may be others but I'm really partial to Patagonia's Warranty! But like Marmot's price! So I got both

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=83800-0-803
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

I have a North Face Venture jacket (they have pants, too) that I got for hiking - lightweight, waterproof (so far), pit zips provide extra ventilation. I think it normally goes for around $115 but I did some shopping around on-line this spring and got one for $59. Fit is pretty true to size; I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs and a medium is fine.

Regards,
    Scott

I have been using a William Joseph Rain Jacket for several years. Very light. Packs very small. I paid about $60. I bought it for a fishing trip to Australia seven years ago. It has held up well. Breathable but not as breathable as a costly Gore-Tex shell. The current version is around $90.

My experience with breathable rain wear has been that Gore Tex rain wear breathes better than other types of breathable rain wear. I have a Patagonia lightweight rain jacket the really needs the pit zips because the material does not breathe well at all. My heavier weight Cabelas Gore Tex parka is far more comfortable to wear to hotter weather. Cabelas has a lightweight Gore Tex rain jacket on sale. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Mens-Rainwear-Sale|/pc/105625080/c/107468280/Cabelas-GORE-TEX174-PacLite174-Rainy-River8482-Parka-150-Regular/724148.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId% 3D107468280%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797080%253Bc at104522580&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat104522 580%3Bcat107468280

I'm with BigA. Right or wrong, I've always felt that Gore Tex was the superior technology out there, with the PacLite being what you would want in the lighter weight, packable gear. I don't know if it's the exact same one that's on sale or not, but I bought one much like that from Cabelas a couple years back and have been extremely happy with it. As I understand it, Gore Tex controls the manufacturing specifications relative to seams and other pertinent details, regardless of the brand, so it's pretty tough for me to justify spending 2 to 3 times as much for Gore Tex PacLite jackets from Simms or other "name" brands.

I've always heard good things about Frogg Toggs and the price is right ....no personal experience though.

I have a Marmot PreCip jacket and a Frogg Togg jacket. There is no comparison. The Marmot is tough, light and packs down to almost nothing.

The Frogg Togg jacket will keep you dry, but is bulkier and lower quality. If you are going out of the country, I would stay with something more durable
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread