+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing for a flight?

You can ship it insured for full value to a UPS Customer Center to be held for your pick-up. Check the UPS web site for their Customer Center locations. I ship gear and my pontoon all over North America this way.
    Max

I usually take my gear as check in, but not sure if the rules here in Oz are any different to the US, I would not think so.

However if you are really concerned about it, and the value of the gear etc etc, I would suggest doing what I did once and buying a cheap traveller combo from Cabelas or similar. I leave mine in the car and it does fish alright for limited spells but will not cause you any grief if you mail it ahead and it never shows up, or you leave it on the roof, slam it in the door or drive over it. Yes I have done all these things but never to my cheap gear LOL.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    I usually take my gear as check in, but not sure if the rules here in Oz are any different to the US, I would not think so.

However if you are really concerned about it, and the value of the gear etc etc, I would suggest doing what I did once and buying a cheap traveller combo from Cabelas or similar. I leave mine in the car and it does fish alright for limited spells but will not cause you any grief if you mail it ahead and it never shows up, or you leave it on the roof, slam it in the door or drive over it. Yes I have done all these things but never to my cheap gear LOL.
    Never had a problem carrying on anything, but I have to admit that I haven't tried carrying on flies. Just make sure that your 4-piece rod is in a vinyl or plastic tube. If it's in a metal tube, like some 'boo comes with, it could be considered a club and not allowed.

Sadly, you'll be at the mercy of the local TSA authorities regardless of what's listed on their website. I just reviewed it and it states that rods are acceptable as a carry-on, but reels and tackle should be checked. Several years ago I had a TSA agent restrict me from taking my reel as a carry-on because the line could be used as a garrote. He didn't have any issues with my shoelaces, though. Your best bet, as others here have said, is to check it or ship it.

Z

I agree, you are still at the mercy of the local TSA official. If you live close enough to an airport, drive over there and show them what you want to carry on and ask them if it will be a problem. This is what I did before my Alaska trip and I will probably do it again this year.

I checked their web site and you have to search a bit, but they suggest expensive reels, delicate flies, etc. be not placed in checked luggage by taken as carry on. I doesn't necessarily say fly lines can be carried on. I guess you could print out their recommendation and have it available if there is any question.

From the TSA website:

Tackle Equipment
    Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1188.shtm

I print this web page and carry it with me in case I need it at security.

I carried a four piece rod and reel on the my last couple of flights to Florida without any problems. I had my fly boxes in my carry on, too. My nylon web belt would make a much more effective garrote than a fly line.

The waiting area at Salt Lake City airport for the short flights to Montana and Wyoming has more rods in it than Cabela's.

Quote Originally Posted by BSwan View Post
    I print this web page and carry it with me in case I need it at security.
    That's OK, but if you get the wrong TSA agent, he /she could care less what that piece of paper says. Trust me on this. I fall on the shipping to your destination ahead of time.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I have carried rod, reel and flies with me. No problem. I suggest checking the current homeland security website and also allow a few minutes extra cfor checking in. If they say no you can go back to the counter and check a bag for $25.00.

jed

+ Reply to Thread