+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise holder?

Hybrid View

Default Vise holder?

We just got a new trailer with a small desk where I can tie flies, but would like to have my vise up a little higher and able to swing out and away from the desk part. Any ideas on how I could build a little platform, then attach it to the wall so it would rotate 180 degrees?
    I have this little shelf that would work, if I could hinge it somehow?

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Hi Herefishy;

I would think that to build something that would have to swing out 18" to 20" would be unstable. Might want to lower your chair. lol lol Or some other alternative.

herefishy,
    A shelf hinged to the wall.When lifted up,a swing out support to stabilize like a drop leaf table.

I put up one of those pull up shelves once and it worked out well, but used a support that I ordered from a woodworking site - how would you build the support - just with a piano hinge?

How 'bout one of those little computer monitor thingies/shelves that attaches to the wall and rotates?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

This would probably swing out of the way. Should fit any brand vice with a 3/8" post. May give you some ideas anyway.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=RD001

I am pretty leary, myself, about attaching anything to the wall in my RV. First, most RV walls are questionable whether they are designed to support much weight attached to them. And second, unless you know the construction details, you never know what might be behind the wall - like electric wires, water lines, etc. - not things that you'd want to accidentally drill into.

That being said, I had an Airstream several years ago and I had the factory service guys attach an Omni cantilever wall mount for a small flat screen TV. I would think that something like that would be the ideal thing to use, if you were intent on having a wall mount. Personally, I'd just use a few books under my vise on the desk, if needed.

Last edited by John Rhoades; 02-15-2011 at 04:55 PM.

herefishy,

Here's another swing-away vise extender that might do the trick? Hope this helps!

http://frontrangeanglers.com/catalog...ion-adjustable

Best regards, Dave S.

Actually, the problem is not with the height of the desk, it is that if I put the vise on the desk, there's hardly any room for "stuff" - it's a small desk. I want to get it off the desk entirely, and I actually have one of the Dyna King vise extenders - don't particularly like it, but it might be just the thing for this situation - I'll try it.
    Betty, I'll look for one of the thingie/shelves, too. How do I google that?
    Thanks

I bought an attachment from Feathercraft that lets you swing the vise away from your desk and over your lap. You can adjusgt your vise to any height and no more back pain.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread