+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography

Default Photography

I don't like doing this and I really don't know why. I guess I feel it isn't my place to make suggestions about what the board contains or not and with the recent inquiries about special interest forums I am a little hesitant to ask for another. Yet, here goes.

Photography. Many here take pictures. Many while on fishing or other outdoor excursions and some like myself that venture into the outdoors just to take photographs. Some of us use point and shoot cameras and some DSLRs. All posting up some fantastic photographs. Perhaps a forum dedicated to photography. Post your pictures. Ask questions specific to photography; equipment, methods, lighting or macro sertups to take shots of flies for example.

My humble suggestion.

Thx,

Kerry
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

It is a great idea.. Glad you brought it back up!

Your not the first to ask for this,, Eric had asked about this and I think he still has a blog of some sort
    posted here...
    To my estimation he is one of the most knowledgeable and has answered many questions about photography
    over the years on this board..

I'll bet Nighthawk is lurking with his sharp talons right now
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Thumbs up Good suggestion, Kerry.

Since pixels enhance just about all aspects of what we post here as fly anglers, fly tiers, rod builders, leader furlers, etc., I think a Forum devoted to discussing photography and posting pix is a great idea.

John
    The fish are always right.

i surely could have used this when i was trying to understand my camera. when the problems can and will be camera specific and personal preference in cameras so diverse it'd be really difficult to find someone with the same camera. basic questions like what's iso, what's exposure, what's white balance, what's aperture, what type of lighting to use could easily be answered. how to access and change all these settings is widely varied if available on each camera. I found the manufacturers web site to be most helpful and fortunately there must be about 1 mil photog web sited to glean info from. as far as displaying photos goes i think that may be best suited for display in each category, ie, flytying, rod building etc etc.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Blog Entries

got my vote.

I believe that the more specialized forums you have the more you tend to isolate the members from each other and the weaker the site becomes. Take a look at Westfly.com. They have separate forums for several states and the members have became so polorized that they post items such as fly swaps or what type of rod would you use in the state forum rather than the general forum. I fear that the establishment of a whole bunch of specialized forum on FAOL will be regretted.

Besides if you go to Google & enter Photo Forum you getover 300 million hits.

Tim

Cold Guest

Besides if you go to Google & enter Photo Forum you getover 300 million hits.
    Have you ever been to any of them? I'm a regular in a few...mostly as a lurker...and if you think fly fishermen can be snobby/elitist...wow.

I am a member of a couple of photography forums and they are great for photographers. My suggestion was for something that we as fly fishers could post pics to and ask questions about photography as it relates to fly fishing. Also I am a member of several other fishing forums and hunting forums many of which have photography sections. They don't seem to distract from the other areas of the forums but serve as a landing zone for posts more specific to photography as it relates to fishing or hunting with some plain sharing of photos that may or may not be relevant.

Good comments so far both pro and con.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Kerry
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Like several of Us I'm involved in Photography, Not like I used to be, was a Custom Photo Lab Darkroom Manager and Commerical Photographer.
    Got "Burned-Out" for over 20 years, just a year ago got my first DSLR and am Re-discovering my love of it. This is just a thought but instead of a "Forum" of its own How about a sub-forum or a "Sticky" heading here on Sound Off.

Quote Originally Posted by bdesavage View Post
    This is just a thought but instead of a "Forum" of its own How about a sub-forum or a "Sticky" heading here on Sound Off.
    I like this idea. If fits the Forum, it would avoid that fragmentation that Panman described, and it would be more likely to be accessed by a wider group of people. Not to mention less work for the Admins. Less work is always good.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread