Thread: Waterproof P&S Digital Cameras -- your input appreciated

Threaded View

Here's a long answer (plus some samples) that is compiled from a number of discussions that took place on the Freestateflyfishers.org discussion board (one of our local clubs.) I put this together to answer a similar question on another forum:

I've been shooting for about 4 years with a small Canon point and shoot with a waterproof underwater housing. Worked--great images but clumsy for fishing by myself. I had been waiting for a water resistant point and shoot that I thought would deliver decent images.

I moved away from my Canon infatuation---the data convinced me. Panasonic point and shoots have really been competing well against the Canon's--in some cases surpassing Canon.

I chose the Panasonic DMC-TS2

The earlier model Panasonic TS1 went head to head with the Canon D10 in dpreviews waterproof camera review last year for image quality but not for water depth or shock resistance....this model (just out in April, I think) goes down to 10 Meters and can be dropped (allegedly from 2). Image quality is pretty good for a waterproof camera. I was down to two choices earlier this summer, this one or the new Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-TX5...the new Sony is thinner, takes a bit better image according to some reviews but is not as rugged---only down to 3 M and not a good idea to drop it....

The Panasonic was about $75 cheaper than the Sony when I bought mine earlier this summer. Looks like they are about the same, now. The Panasonic doesn't have a lens cover which is somewhat problematic but it is built like a small tank and yet small enough to keep in my pocket. The Sony would be nicer to carry around all the time since it is thinner and has a lens cover. It also has some neat panoramic modes that are pretty unique. (It has a black background sensor that I'm real intrigued with.) But the Panasonic is still small enough that I literally carry it with me all the time. It does have a macro focus as well.

I'm not going to rave on the macro---I don't think it is as good as many of the point and shoot canon's I've used--for one it doesn't focus quite so close. I haven't worked much with it but here's a shot of one of Roy Chrisie's Reversed Paradun's, taken on the window sill of my office.

Go here for the full size image:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/...fa113b80_o.jpg

Oh....and HD video which is real nice. I still can't quite get over having HD video capabilities in my pocket.

I'm no photo expert, just want to have along a camera to record things to share. I think that will be obvious when you look at these images and videos below but also keep in mind that there likewise is no image processing (beyond what the camera does) nor video editing.

Here are some photos from this summer to give you an idea of the capabilities/limitations of the camera as well as a quick video test. I simply took a quick video of my buddy fishing to demonstrate the capabilities--no editing.

The hike in.

The creek.

The next three are of the same fish:

Next report with my first HD video attempts:
    The discussion of an earlier trip report moved to talking about the camera I was using--a Panasonic DMC-TS2. I indicated that the camera also takes HD video and that perhaps I'd take some video over the weekend. I spent Sunday at Roaring River with Randy trying out the camera and fishing dries all day long. Beetles drew consistent attention.

The bright, mid-day sun created less than ideal conditions for fish and video but overall I'm pretty pleased. I'll need to work on strategies for taking video, now. Here's three samples for your perusal--unedited just as they come out of the camera. BTW, these are shot in one of two formats. This format is best for web-sharing--the other is better for playing on you widescreen TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peTo0j5v8gM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDuxJ2mSrfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goevJhMqcgo
    Oh, and here's a link to a flyfishing blog that features a guy that can really take pictures with this same little camera:

http://www.winonaflyfactory.com/

BW
    Last edited by Brad Williamson; 12-14-2010 at 10:51 PM.