+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wisconsin Rifle Deer Hunting Opener This Weekend.

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Wisconsin Rifle Deer Hunting Opener This Weekend.

Are you ready to go?

Is your gear ready?

Have you scouted your area?

Is your stand good?

Are you ready to go?

I don't mean mentally.

I mean are you going to be one the opening weekend statistics? The Great White Hunter? The guy that sits behind a desk all year and only goes in to the woods once a year. Dressed with heavy clothing and really heavy boots. The predicted low for opening morning for me is 19 degrees.

Are you going to drag that huge buck you shot any distance? Are you still pumped up about the huge buck you just shot?

Don't be another statistic!

Being prepared for deer hunting is more than gear and scouting. The HUNTER needs to be physically sound and able to handle what is about to come.

At age 40 years old my father shot a nice buck and had a heart attack and died.

For many years I did not hunt. I am going back to hunting again after a 6 year hiatus .

I have been walking 5 miles a day for the last 3 months.

About six years ago my wife started to nag me about going to the doctor. She said with my family history I needed to be able to hunt. My wonderful wife Barb scheduled a physical for me and has for the last 6 years.

That initial physical showed that I had high blood pressure and my cholesterol was way too high. I have both under control now.

The HUNTER needs to be physically sound and able to handle what is about to come.

Don't be another statistic!

Spinner1,

I've got two more weeks to go before Pa.s opener, although I did do a little (very little) archery hunting. I've been double-timing it behind my bird dogs who have been double-timing it behind these running Pa. pheasants. I cover a lot of ground during the hunt, but none it really prepares me for dragging a deer. I really should do some kind of minimal cardio and weight work also. I hunt a considerable distance from my vehicle, and because of terrain I have a good drag before I can even use a deer cart, which I stash in the woods at a key/handy location. Before the use of a deer cart I would be absolutely spent by the time I reached my car. It took hours to get the deer out, but worth it. I'm not getting any younger and will have to modify the way I hunt and where I hunt in the not too distant future!
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU SPINNER1, AND ALL THE BIG GAME CHASERS HERE ON FAOL!!!! BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards, Dave S.
    Last edited by fishdog54; 11-18-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Left out a word, although sometimes less is more!LOL!!!

Well, just to pump you all up...

The season here in Montana is winding down. This weekend is the last one for big game. So far this year it has been a fantastic season for me. I have taken 7 big game animals, 4 different species, including my first elk and a very nice 5X5 whitetail buck on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone, and be safe. Two youngsters were killed locally on opening weekend...it's a harsh reminder to keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

TT.

The last time I hunted Wisconsin (Crivitz, Marinette County), you had to darn near prove you owned a farm to buy a salt lick. Things have changed and so have I. I don't hunt anymore.

Mark

I was about 50 yards from my put in point on the Hooch Saturday afternoon when a beautiful white tail buck ran down the slope on the riverbank and back up the same side. He was at least a 8 pt. and I really believe he had 10 or more. He was in an area in the suburbs where he will die of old age unless he ventures down to the road and get it by a car. Beautiful animal, it's just too much trouble to hunt them here, my county is over 800,000 people and it's one of 13 in the metro area, most of the guys travel several hundred miles to a hunting lease, I just go trout fishing, much safer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread