+ Reply to Thread

Thread: diy bobbin holder

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default diy bobbin holder

while researching bobbin holders for an article on my blog, i happened to stumble upon this home made version

http://daz-fishing.blogspot.com/2009...diy-style.html

Bass_Bug Guest

Norm,
    I'm all for homemade tools and jigs, and as cool as that is making it from things around the house, it does seem like a lot of effort when you can buy midge bobbins that hold a sewing machine size bobbin spool for $1.99 at Jann's. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-tyi...044800000.aspx
    Where's this guy at anyway and whats "SGD30"?

How what would be really cool , would be to take this concept, make it several inches longer and mount 3 or 4 small bobbin spools in it with different tinsels (flat, oval, gold, silver etc.), since it's not a quick change like a regular tying bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    while researching bobbin holders for an article on my blog, i happened to stumble upon this home made version
    Hi Normand,

That's an interesting DIY bobbin - it reminded me of some of the DIY fly tying equipment in John F McKim's book, 'Fly tying: Adventures in fur, feathers and fun' The author lists how to make a homemade pliers vise, bobbin, dubbing twister, bodkin and hair tamper. It's an old book (original copyright 1982, eight printing 199 and is mostly detailed line drawings with only two color plate inserts. It covers a lot of things most modern fly tying books skip over: dry and wet fly proportions, feather structure, hook terms, left and right handed whip finishing, etc. It even shows the Thomspon A and B vises along with a homemade Lefty Kreh vise-grip pliers vise! It's a true classic. I recommend it when I teach fly tying.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread