+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripping basket (again)

Default Stripping basket (again)

So my idea to modify the William Joseph collapsible basket never worked, the line gets all tangled and the it stinks after a couple of sessions. I am using a rubbermaid bucket and it has worked ok but when it gets windy the line sometimes slides out if it. I found a deeper bucket but I think I'm going to need something a bit longer than the wire nuts, does anybody have an idea of what I can use?
    This is it

This is what I use, it's fine but the wind sometimes blows the line out of it

Thanks much.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 07-30-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

Normand Guest

hover the mouse pointer over the foto for ideas and links

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&r...77&safe=active

What I did with my homemade stripping basket was to get some cable ties the ones about 3/16ths inch wide and cut some holes in the bottom of the basket where I wanted the "fingers" to be. Pull the cable ties in from the bottom and put a dab of flexament around the tie before pulling the locking portion up tight against the basket. This leaves a long finger stickiing into the basket which you can cut to length. Then I added some more glue to the inside to seal the hole. Other than the occasional broken tie from setting the reel against it I've had no problems with this system. rel

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I've made several along with buying a couple. My favorite is a medium depth container, much like the rubbermade shown above but the cheap version in basket form called Sterilite I believe from Walmart. I like the basket rather than a solid container as it drains when needed. I use heavy weed whip mono, in loops stuck through punched holes in the bottom
    and held with a drop of Goop after burning a ball on each end of the mono once it is threaded into the holes. My blog has a few pictures aways down the page.
    Last edited by Chuck S; 07-31-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

I'm a fly tier so I like a lot of do it yourself types of projects, but I am glad that I bought my two baskets. I know that kind of guy that I am. I would buy all of the stuff to make one, then about the time I built my 4th one I would have most of the issues worked out and then I would still buy a store bought one. I use a Charlies collapsible that is always in the pack and then when I know that I want one I use the Orvis. From a recent outting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How much is that one?
    I believe I can fly fish

I made a good number of various rubbermaid baskets and gave them away. The downside was most couldn't be used as a storage basket- critical when I travel. I received an Orvis basket as a gift and never looked back. Unfortunately they are 60 bucks! I think they were 40 when I got mine. It has withstood lots of travel and well over a hundred days on the water with no visible signs of wear. I put reels and flyboxes in between the posts and my chestpack on top- stick the whole thing in a pack and its flown numerous times with no damage. I throw my boots in it at the end of the day when traveling in a car. It's well designed for line management and the rod holder feature has done a good job keeping my reels out of the sand. Well, that's 6,000 and two cents worth more than you wanted to know....

Charlie

Yes, the plastic box is $59 here: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1433 BUT if you get on an Orvis mailing list they send you a $25 off coupon several times per year which can be used when you spend more than $50 in the store, so with the coupon it's $34 and that's how I bought mine. I know that many people make ones that are fine to use but after you buy the cones, silicone to glue it down and the basket you still have something that is cobbled together and like I said, I know me. Knowing myself translates into making 4 of them for more than one Orvis one would cost before I got out all of the wrinkles in the system then I would still probably go buy one because I wanted one.

A little off subject but here was a recent experience of mine. I bought a DanVise, wanted a nicer vise but said it would do. It was nice, BUT I wanted a nicer vise before I even picked this one up so I bought a Peak. The Peak was nice, but before I bought it I really wanted a Dyna-King Barracuda. It wasn't six months later that I bought the Barracuda. Did I save a dime? NO. I gave away, just yesterday the DanVise to a neighbor kid.

You might be different, but knowing me, I wouldn't save a penny making them myself in the long run. Now I will be quiet and read some more info on people that are happy with the ones that they make.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread