+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spey - Spey Short Head Fly Lines

Default Spey - Spey Short Head Fly Lines

I recently purchased an Albrite 15' ->2 handed Spey Rod....8.9oz ->10/11->3 piece....
    $79.95 + tax...... oooh-yea.
    Also purchased a Scientific Anglers - Mastery Series -Spey-Spey Short Head Specialty Taper Fly line.
    Which is a WF-9/10-F......130ft-40m for $17.50 on ebay.

My question is;
    Will this Fly line be sufficiant with the Rod?
    Anyone have any clues?
    Thanks in advance
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

I don't know anything about Albright rods but they should have grain wt. recommnedations for the line.

The spey rod should have a grain window designated. This will tell you about the line/head wt that you will need to get to properly load the rod. Sounds like you have a long belly line which isn't the easiest to cast for a beginner. Just because you rod says 7/8 or whatever, doesn't mean you buy a line that says 7/8 --- you want to buy based upon grain wt. of t he head to start with.

There are different types of line-- Scandi, Skagit , long belly, etc. to chose from. Also, head lengths are much different from a 9 ft. rod.

I think I remember when you were considering buying this rod. Didnt you post about the rod?

Go to Rio's web site. The have a section that you can click on that will take you to a long list of spey and switch rods and the recommended liness and grain wts. This will be a good start. Rajeff sports also has a similar chart Ithink.

I would also hightly recommend that you call The Red Shed in Idaho and ask for Poppy--- tell him what you bought and get his opinion.

Alsoo check out the Spey Pages web site. You can post your questions there and get some answers.

I checked the Rio site -- your rod is not mentioned. Therefore, I would perhaps call Albright directly and ask them or call Poppy, or call Rajeff and talk to each to see what they recommend. Also the spey pages may have someone who can anwer.

Rajeff Sports has a list of line recommendations. Go to their site, look under Articles and you will see a spey sections. The Albright rods are about in the middle of this list. You can also call them.

All of these companies are pretty good about giving you information over the phone.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 07-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.

I know the new Rio short spey lines are designed for short, spey rods, say 11 feet or so. I suspect the line you have is too short, but I'd contact
    SA and see what they say.

Randy

Thanks fellas I'll make the call to Poppy

The 9/10 line may load the rod but if your just starting out, you usually want to go more towards the higher end of grain window. Definitely, get a hold of Poppy. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Thank you Kindly

Hi Jeffro,

Here is a link to R.B. Meiser website you might find helpful. http://www.meiserflyrods.com/what-is-grain-window.php
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks TyroneFly...that is an interesting site even has a phone # too.....

You need to figure out what types of flies you're going to throw, if you'll be using sink-tips or floaters, and most importantly the type(s) of water you'll be fishing. Do you need to throw 100' of line? Or 70' with a size 2 bunny leech that needs to get down a few feet? These will dictate the lines and/or heads you need, as well as the tips you'll throw.

+ Reply to Thread