John,

I have had this idea in my head and since you are experimenting, I thought I would "throw it out" and see what you think. It may be a crazy idea and may not be worth trying, but, since I do not own a Tenkara rod and you do, I will let you decide. As I was watching a "you tube" video of a young man fishing a Tenkara, I noticed that each time he hooked a fish he would reach up towards the rod with his left hand like he was reaching for the fly line to strip the fish in as you would with a regular fly rod set up. This got me to thinking....

If you put a fly rod tip on the Tenkara and a line guide at each section on the end of the "female" end of the ferrule and a hook keeper in front of the cork handle, you could fasten the fly line you used to the hook keeper and run the fly line through the guides and out the tip. This would allow you to strip in line to land a fish and make it easier to cast all that line. With the line guides on the "female" end of each section, you would still be able to collapse the rod down to the line guides. I know that each section would not be able to go inside the others, but, it would still collapse to a pretty short length.

Just thinking out loud and nothing more....