+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc drag reels

Default Disc drag reels

I've been looking at the Orvis Battenkill for a while any thinking about purchasing it but there are alot of other disc drag reels out there at a lower cost. Does anyone have a Fly Logic? How are they? Any other sugestions? Just wondering if I'm paying extra for the Orvis name?

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:a35b3]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:a35b3]

7star, I do not knoe about the fly logic reels. but I do have the Orvis battenkill bar stock reel. It is a good reel for the money.

------------------
    Bill

I like the Okuma Magnitude for its weight, reliability and price. Mine has held up well.

jed

Not sure of the price for the Orvis, but I own several G Loomis Venture series in the 3 & 5, disk drag is very smooth. The take up (wind in) is silent. Spool will spin freely. I like this feature, as it tends to wind in line as you cast from the centrifical force.
    Cost $100.00 No financial interest - Just like the reels. Easy left to right hand swap as well.
    Pete

I have an Orvis Battenkill 5/6 and I wouldn't trade that reel for anything. I love that reel. Very pleased!

------------------
    -Brandon

I have a Battenkill 7/8 and 8/9 that I have been using in saltwater for 10 years and both have held up fine and though scratched up, still function as new. I also have 3/4 for the same length of time that still functions as well as it did when new. These are the cast frame versions, not the Bar Stock. Since Orvis move to an Asian manufacturer, the price on these is now less than $90. Quality appears the same.

The Bar Stock has the same drag but is more solid.

It looks to me like the Orvis Battenkill reels, the regular or the Bar Stock, are roughly equivalent in price to the Fly Logic reels.

The Battenkill has been around forever with minimul changes. While being a little bit heavy, the BBs came along with a lighter feel and weight. About the only difference is the click system in fact some of the spools are interchangeable. And they have a fare warranty. The Loomis is a beautiful reel also.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I've got a couple of cast battenkills and they are very much worth the $. I'm also confident that spare spools, and warranty repair will be there for some time to come. Be careful comparing "disc" drag reels b/c there are at least 3 different varieties, all with dif.price points. Even among cork discs there are a couple very different types. The B-kill is not a "stop a sub drag", but it's not priced as one, and at least internally it's all metal.

[url=http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1772448&cp=716957.717048.12638 93&parentPage=family&searchId=1263893:bcf7a]http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1772448&cp=716957.717048.12638 93&parentPage=family&searchId=1263893[/url:bcf7a] I don't know why this reel doesn't get more respect. I have 1 and my boy has 1. I love this reel and I'm going to get another this year. Retire my Pfluger Supreme. If the site doesn't lead you to the reel, I'm talking about the Tica Fishmaster. I've had some bad feedback on FAOL about this reel. I don't know why? It just feel good to me.

Battenkill questions. What is the difference between the cast and bar stock? Which one is made in China and is buying the USA model a better choice?

+ Reply to Thread