+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegill fishing

Default Bluegill fishing

when do the bluegills start bedding in lakes. I fish in northern michigan, we usually dont start catching a lot until the begining of june. This year has been weird though and has been warm for 3 months already. We usually just fish then because of time restrictions with baseball games and practices, and umpiring and school. What are your favorite flies for bluegills on the beds.

Blog Entries

I can't speak for Michigan, but they just started showing up on the beds here in Kansas.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

cd,
    Rule of thumb here in northeast Ohio is the full moon in June & they will return to the beds (although not as heavily) each full moon throughout the warm months. I believe there is a full moon 5/27 & that may be the one since the full moon in June is very late in the month.
    Favorite flies: yellow woolly worms (unweighted of course), white foam spiders, red butt epoxy ants, yellow gurglers, black foam beetles.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

thanks, i think we might go out and try this weekend since there isnt any sports. Memorial weekend we will be in the UP and maybe we will get to go to one of the lakes we used to fish when we lived up there.

Probably too early, since they're just starting to show up on beds here in KS as has been mentioned. BUT... I've been catching 'gills here for about two months already! Don't need bedding fish to catch 'em.

Generally, around here, the first full moon in May. May be a little late this year as I've seen no indication of beds yet. Just a few bass still on beds as of last week.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Down here in Georgia we had a colder than usual winter and a really mixed up spring. That being said, they've been off the bed for well over a month and some are already thinking about beddng again. We usually get a couple of spawnings here in the south with the second spawning quite a bit smaller than the first.

Jim Smith

In the UP during June typically toward the end. It varies by year of course

The key is water temperature, the peak temp is 75 degrees according to a couple of websites I checked the furtherest north was Iowa however.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Again, we're talking Kansas here, so you'll have to make an adjustment for latitude, but the gills on the small to medium sized lakes here have been in the shallows for a few weeks now. However, I am just now starting to see nesting activity. Not much, mind, but it's beginning. The females here are just starting to show a visible bulge from the egg mass and the males are in full spawning colors.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread