+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idaho in Late August

Hybrid View

Default Idaho in Late August

I have an opportunity to take a flyfishing trip in late August to fish the Henry's Fork, South Fork of the Snake and I believe the Teton.

While I recognize these are world famous rivers, I'm just curious about how they fish during late August. Being from the Northeast I'm used to associating August with "dog days", with exception of a few tailwaters.

How is the dry fly action in late August?

Should I also assume that late August is one of the more crowded times of year?

Thanks in advance.

Zonk

Quote Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
    I have an opportunity to take a flyfishing trip in late August to fish the Henry's Fork, South Fork of the Snake and I believe the Teton.

While I recognize these are world famous rivers, I'm just curious about how they fish during late August. Being from the Northeast I'm used to associating August with "dog days", with exception of a few tailwaters.

How is the dry fly action in late August?

Should I also assume that late August is one of the more crowded times of year?

Thanks in advance.

Zonk
    Late August is likely to be tough.

There 'might' be some callibaetis still around on the Ranch ...flying ant falls might have certain areas going, at times ... don't expect to see lots of heads, and certainly not "all day" .... for some reason people come there expecting big fish everywhere and all the time, ain't so, certainly not in hot, clear, calm weather .. i.e. late August

The South Fork is likely to be too high for anything but drift boat access ... you'll need an experienced guide, it can be dangerous water. I'm a wade angler and have very little experience there and not at summer flows ... It's a tailwater so 'month' may not be as big a factor as 'flow'

The Teton is lovely but likely to be pretty slow by then, except maybe last light, wading access can be hard when weeds are high ( I'm speaking of the upper, flat water, Teton .. I have zero experience in the canyon, but know you REALLY need someone experienced on the oars down there ... it's killer water )

All that said, it's really nearly impossible to generalize about that area for a specific week or two and this far in advance. I've spent many Augusts alternating fishing on the HFork 'Ranch' and Hebgen and all years are different.

Crowds? shouldn't be too bad ...

I'm far more familiar with HFork Harriman Ranch section than the other waters you mention, it's my 'adopted home water' ... expect to walk a LOT, HUNT a lot, but only cast a little, and only get a cast or two at any feeder you manage to find in late August.

But, 'The Henry's Fork' includes LOTS of water besides the famous 'Ranch' where I mostly fish .... most of the guides float the lower river and their sports bobbercate

Regardless, you're coming to a very special area ... plan to be impressed
    Last edited by kimshew; 05-04-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Late August is terrestrial time. The fish have to eat, and it's just a matter of finding what.... and how to present it. Check the flyshops.
    http://jimmysflyshop.com/
    http://www.henrysforkanglers.com/
    http://www.southforkoutfitters.com/
    http://www.worldcastanglers.com/
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Thanks kimshew, your information is much appreciated.

If I did decide to spend a week focusing on the Harriman ranch could you recommend a place for lodging?

Just looking for a centrally located budget minded hotel with clean rooms, not really interest in a fancy lodge.

Zonk

Quote Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
    Thanks kimshew, your information is much appreciated.

If I did decide to spend a week focusing on the Harriman ranch could you recommend a place for lodging?

Just looking for a centrally located budget minded hotel with clean rooms, not really interest in a fancy lodge.

Zonk
    Sorry, I take my travel trailer and have no experience with lodging options. Google "Island Park Lodging" or similar and bet you find some. Last Chance, Id is the very closest town ( actually a part of Island Park ) try that too. There are several places catering to anglers in Last Chance, Trout Hunter is the only one I know the name of ....... I doubt that any are what would qualify as 'budget,' on my budget. Oh, try Harriman State Park .. they rent out historic cabins right on Millionaires Pool. Ashton, Id is about 20 miles and might be a bit cheaper ... it's also closer to lower river. West Yellowstone is maybe 40 miles and has lots of motels

My license plate is the same as my 'name' here ... look for me and say Hi ... it's very likely I'll be in the area.

FWIW, I found this from a couple years ago

http://www.kimshew.com/flyfish/displ...php?log_id=345

admittedly it reads a bit pompous, even to me now, but it's what I was feeling that evening ....
    to put the last sentence "feels better than success anywhere else I've ever fished." in perspective ... I've been lucky enough to fish the LeTort in Pa, Hat Creek in Ca, and many, many 'technical' waters in between ..... I'm addicted to flat water and rising heads

Larry
    Last edited by kimshew; 05-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.

kimshew, enjoyed your piece on the ranch very much. Very well written, wish you were writing for us!
    Now that I'm living here, we might even cross rods on the water. At least I hope so. It's so nice to read something that I can picture in my mind, even though it's been several years since I've been there. Thanks for the tour.
    LF

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    , enjoyed your piece on the ranch very much. Very well written, wish you were writing for us!
    Ah, shucks .... now ya got me blushin'

Hope we, as you say, cross rods .... I'll be in the Park most of June, Firehole and Madison .... leaving here Thursday morning ( unless the weather forecasts for the drive look terrible for trailer towing ) headed to Craig and the Missouri

I go months without adding any content to my own site, or even keeping a fishing log for my own use ... don't think I'm really writer material, but thanks again.

Larry
    Last edited by kimshew; 05-04-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Larry,
    Those are some of nicest photo albums I've seen online, they do bring back some fond memories.
    Thank you for linking us in to your travels.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread