Thread: Montague Lake Pleasent 9'6" 5/6 wt Resteration

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default Montague Lake Pleasent 9'6" 5/6 wt Resteration

Today my Two bamboo rods came in from the swap I did for them. One a Japanese rod the sticker Hard to make out from being marred badly but barely shows Vicki on it, from my research it is a reversible fly/bait cast combo from post WW-II Japan most likely brought home by a service member from Korea. This rod was designed with 5 pieces and be assembled in 2 ways:1) two pieces & the grip and reel seat for a 64” long 5 guide Casting rod. 2) Three pieces & the Grip and reel seat for a 96” long 8 guide Fly Rod. The rod itself is medium brown in color. This set when new came in a box that included basic casting and fly fishing supplies along 2 reels. I currently only have the 64" section and will be restoring it as a casting blank. Though I am debating on making the three missing sections just for giggles and to complete the style of the set, as I do like the idea.

The Montgue Lake pleasant is a 8'6" 5/6 wt 3p 2t rod in considerable need of repair.

The issues found so far are as follows.

1. The aluminum slip ring reel seat is so stretched that it is unsaveable. and will be replaced with a bellenger down locking burlwood reel seat.

2. The furreals are cracked and corroded in most places but might be saved by someone who can solder silver. or I can replace them with original parts as they seem to be abundant on the web.

3. The guides are mostly missing so I will be replacing all of them with newer snake guides once I can determine the number needed. With the striper guide and possibly the tips being aget insert.

4. The cork grip may be saved but I am currently looking to fully replace it, if the orange oil doesn’t stop it from crumbling..

5. One of the two tips is splitting at the in-between the seams and will need to be completely reglued and reinforced. This I might ask for help with.

So as you can see here my work if cut out for me but I think She will come out looking better than ever, And classy like she should be.
    Last edited by CharlaineC; 04-27-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: grammer and spelling