+ Reply to Thread

Thread: another furled leader knot question

Default another furled leader knot question

Having just begun to try furled leaders...another question I have...

Does it make any sense to use a mono butt section ..line..butt section.. to furled leader...or do they perform better going line to furled leader?

I always use a piece of mono as a butt section when using furled leaders. I don't care for loop to loop connections, I think a well tied nail knot is stronger and runs through the guides better. I use a 8-12 inch section of heavy mono (or the butt from an old mono leader) nail knotted to the fly line then use a modified blood knot to tie into the furled leader (I use 4 turns at the mono tag end and only 2 turns of the furled tag, it makes a smaller knot)

At the tip end I use a stepped tippet (10" 2x, 10" 4x and 16" 6x) attached with a double surgeons knot.

In my opinion this combination is easy to tie, provide good transfer of energy down the leader and is less bulky than other set ups...

I much prefer the loop-to-loop method for nearly all my set-ups, especially furled leaders.

Blog Entries

I use loop to loop, fly line straight to leader. So far it has worked well for me. No failures to date.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:82824]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:82824]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

For my 4wt silk line I use loop to loop connection to the furled leader to line connection and loop to loop for tippet. I do use a piece of 4x tippet about 12" long and then 18"+ of lighter tippet.
    For a plastic line, 5wt or so, I nail knoat a piece of 6" mono to the fly line and then connect to furled leader with loops as above. Works very well this way for me.
    Pete

Only a few responses but raises some questions..

Chris, do you then go loop to loop?

Kengore, sounds like you don't have loops on your furled leaders?

REG/AR, do you use a mono butt section?

Seems to me the basic question is...When using furled leaders is the energy transferred from line to leader better with or without a mono butt section?....e.i. for now leaving the question of convenience out of the equation.

Any more folks out there?

'nother country heard from!

I most always take the coating off the front 3/4- 1" of fly line and form it into a loop which is secured the old fashioned way - thread through both legs of loop then wrapped up and down, then covered with Pliobond. Then go loop-to-loop with the furled leader. Finally, loop-to-loop with tippet. No need to take it down in steps, the furled leader (even 5 1/2') seems to turn over a fine, long tippet quite well. Works for me.

G'luck.

Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread