+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLy Fishing 010110

Blog Entries

Default FLy Fishing 010110

My first attempt at a real written post and report.. more of a story about the day and not just hay I went fishing here's the pictures to prove it type of thing..

Andy (trouthunter) and I got out first day of 2010, it was truly a nice day up in the Pass, when I hit the bottom of the Lundbreck hill my windows and side-view mirrors fogged up from hitting the warm air mass.. neat!

I got there a bit early so made a run up to the Timmies , and got a hot one, and picked the boys up their regular, large ham and Swiss on whole wheat, double the ham and double the Swiss, hold the lettuce.
    Fischer will pick his half apart and lay the greens aside and give me a dirty look! Thor will try to eat it but it is like peanut butter to him, gets stuck to the roof of his mouth so he spits it out, yeach wilted lettuce and dog slobber!

We made it back to the lease just before Andy showed up right on time..we rigged up as Bruno and the boys got acquainted.

We got started and decided to walk the back road to the corner pool, Damn ! frozen over, but down stream there was little open water, where the Biatch hangs out, I have been fishing her for three years and have caught her twice, real tease she is, kept moving down stream, and lots of ice but little water, the dogs were having a blast.

Some nice open water was soon found and hope sprang eternal (hint) but the foe was much too cleaver to come out and play, we worked the pool trying several fly changes. Time was ticking and mo-nature decided to bless us with snow, sleet and rain all within 10-15mins, we kept moving down stream and it was evident the the cold nights were having their effect on the river, lots of ice and little fishable water, ohh well next time will fish the Collieries.

Andy had a New Years day dinner date so we made our way to the parking lot, I decided to try down river from the access point, but no joy all frozen. I guess I will spend the next couple of weeks tying flies and hoping for a nice 3 or 4 day Chinook to hit, anybody interested?
    Some pictures of the day..

usually a nice corner pool

Andy trying one of only two runs we found in that section of the river

The three amigo's doing what they do best!!!

Second section of open water and last section !

Santa's little helper (Mother Ann's) brought me this and others..

Also several other FF related gifts under the tree, new waders and a real fly fishing jacket.. My 09 was good, and I hope 2010 is just a little better and great for all of you...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

That's good **** man! When I read your title I thought we going to get into a discussion on how fly fishing can be translated into binary ( AND, OR, NOR?) LOL!

I am really starting to enjoy winter fishing. I have never really done it until this year.

It makes catching a fish feel all that much better. That looks like a really nice area.

I was born in Calgary but went to the states before I was two. I would like to go back there one day and spend a week or so....
    Last edited by vmabuck; 01-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Nice one. A shame no takers, but at least there was some open water to cast at. Next time, for sure, though.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hi Ray -

When I saw the title on your thread I thought it was your ZIP CODE. Took me a few minutes to realize it was the date, but then again, I just came in from a couple hours wading the Bitterroot and my mind was a bit numb, along with my toes.

Very much enjoyed the report and pics. A Sage Flight ?? That second section of open water looks pretty nice. The irony, at least fishing that kind of water down here this time of year, is that its open because of the faster current, and that ain't likely where the fishies are going to be. Does make for some optimism and good casting practice, though.

John

P.S. Loved the description of Fischer and Thor at lunch.
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for the report and pics. Isn't fishing in the winter fun?!? We've had some of the same problems here in Idaho, but I haven't had to worry about it this year much since I can't get out yet, but I'm chomping at the bit and your report helps soften the urge. Thanks!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Man that looks cold!! That is some sweet Christmas gift though.
    All the best.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread