A post made earlier started me thinking about what fly fishing is.........

It seems that regular fishing, for the most part, involves high speed, specialty, expensive boats that tear up and pollute the water, with the object of 'harvesting' as many of the targeted species as possible. It seems that is is usually practiced (for the most part) by loud, sometimes obnoxious people, in expensive boats, sometimes (a lot of sometimes) comsuming beer, and having an attitude that the lakes and rivers belong to THEM! Fly-Fishers, on the other hand, seem to be quiet (most of the time, you don't even know they are there until you see them), reflective, educated, calm visitors to nature's realm, with a bias towards consideration for the environment they are in, and respect thereof. If any alcohol is involved (in my case, a flask at hike-in campfire at days-end containing a well made-boubon, brandy or wine...to keep off the evening chill), it is usually tastefully, and reasonably applied (to keep off the chill of cold trout streams....). Most Fly-Fishers I know have the same approach to life as they do to fishing.....relection and introspective reasoning.

If anyone's interested, I do all kinds of fishing from fly to cane pole, but my heart is always with the principles of fly fishing in mind. I only keep what I need to eat ( I live in the wilderness). And I can eat really cheap fish (I have lots of carp recipes, if anyone wants them. They ain't too bad, if your hungry).

Just a few thoughts.....

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Semper Fi!