+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage XP

Hybrid View

Default Sage XP

Anybody have experience with a sage XP 7wt -- I'm looking at a 9'6". Plan to use it for smallmouth and lake fishing. Thanks Dave

Have the EXACT same model and love it! I use it for smallies, steelhead and carp. One word of advice though, if you don't like FAST rods, look elsewhere. The rod is an absolute cannon, feels light in the hand and balances well with a fairly light reel (I have a Ross Evolution on mine). I can cast the whole line and then some and then pick it all up if there is room.

Did you find someone selling them for a good price? I'd like to pick up another as a backup before I can't get them anymore.

Default Fast!

Cannon is right! I used one for a while that belonged to a friend. You can rip alot of line off the water and fire it back out with that rod. Wish I still had it.

I have Sage 7wt XP's in 790-4 XP and 7100-4 XP, both are my favorites for larger river smallmouth fishing.

The 10ft is for dead drifting weighted flys and the 9ft for longer distances with top water flys.

Your choice of the 9'6" is perfect for all arround casting.

Regards,
    FK

While not an XP, my favorite smallmouth rod is a 790-2 RPL. Plenty of power and alot of feel. Enough flex to enjoy the tug of a 10" fish, yet enough butt strength to keep a 20+incher out of the ledges and snags on the river. If you like XP's, an RPL will initially feel kinda sluggish, but will surprise you in how well it will turn over clousers with a well timmed double haul and a Belgian cast. Lots of power if you need to lean on it, and more forgiving when you need to open up your loop and chuck the heavy stuff like weighted craw patterns. Bonus for the price compared to an XP if you can find one. I have seen some unfished 790 RPLs go for under $300 on ebay in the recent past.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Quote Originally Posted by flywatersmallie View Post
    Have the EXACT same model and love it! I use it for smallies, steelhead and carp. One word of advice though, if you don't like FAST rods, look elsewhere. The rod is an absolute cannon, feels light in the hand and balances well with a fairly light reel (I have a Ross Evolution on mine). I can cast the whole line and then some and then pick it all up if there is room.

Did you find someone selling them for a good price? I'd like to pick up another as a backup before I can't get them anymore.
    Amen to that! I had a 9 ft-5 wgt blank given to me for favors I had done for a rod building supplier...and after casting a factory rod..I gave it back to him and asked for a VPS blank. MIGHTY fast rod...
    Does Sage have any back somewhere for backups for broken rods? You might give them a call..

While I don't have that exact model, I do have the 10' 6 weight in a 4 piece and a 9' 4 weitht in 2 piece. When I am not fishing bamboo I am fishing the 9' 4 weight. The XP series is possibaly one of the best rods Sage ever made nest to the SP and the LL.

fishbum

Check out the Redington Predator
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread