+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teton 5 owners

Default Teton 5 owners

You like your reel? Please tell me about it. Thank you.

Gardenfish,
    I'm a real solid Ross reel fan. Mainly 'cause the local shop sold them and I began that way. Never had any trouble.

I don't have a 5 but I do have a Teton 4 and I can't believe how nice it's made! The drag..it'll stop anything my San Miguels will PLUS!!

Not that I'll ever really "need" that but..it's there. And the quality seems very good indeed!

Wish they were still made.

HTH.

Jeremy.

I have a Teton 5, a 6, and a 7. I use them more than any other reels. Never had a problem with any of them.
    I only fish fresh water, so I can't tell you anything about how they hold up in the salt.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

I've got a Teton 4, 6 and 8. They're way better than I am. Maybe I'll live up to them some day.

Great reels. Really.

Blog Entries

I have 2 Tetons and a Tioga. Great reels!
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

6. Default

I have a 5 that I like a lot. Never had any problems with it at all and I am pretty hard on my stuff. It has definately hit a rock a few times and it still runs perfect. I just bought a three weight reel and was bummed when I couldn't find a teton locally and had to go another direction.

Someone mentioned Ross which is a very good reel. I compare them like this. The Ross is like a Cadillac and the Teton like an Abrams Tank. Like that tank the Teton is solid, dependable, nearly indestructible, and like the Energizer Bunny it just keeps going and going and go . . . . .

A very good reel for the money.

Hope this doesn't take away from the thread but I have a question about Teton's.

Is is true, as I've heard, that the "Tioga" is the lesser refined/quality reel than just the "Teton's"? As in the "Teton Tioga 4" isn't quite as good as the "Teton #4".

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks,

Jeremy.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 15 January 2006).]

Jeremy - The Tioga is made for mass production and has less sophisticated machining to reduce cost. The Tioga 4 is slightly bigger and heavier than a Teton 4. The drag is identical. The Tioga is a bit more "beefy" than the Teton. Do I like them? Well, if I could only have ONE reel, it would be a Tioga! My first Tioga was purchased after I managed to drop it on the concrete floor of the local fly shop. The owner said not to worry about it. I said I'm not, but any reel that can survive that drop with only a small scratch is going home with me!...Ed

I have a Teton, and I love its light weight, and durable action. Teton is lighter than the Tioga, but both have the same durablity, and smooth action on the braking tension.

The Teton is still less expensive than other top of the line reels. So you still get more value for dollar spent with either the Teton or the Tioga.

~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread