+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Straight mono leader

Hybrid View

Default Straight mono leader

I was reading something about butt sections and how they vary depending on the fly line wt. The in the article it was mentioned that for an 8wt line one should use a 40 pond test line and 30 for smaller lines. Now, if I'm using just a straight piece of mono (for striped bass fishing), what pound test you guys suggest I use? I take for that use I don't need a subtle presentation. I'll be using a sinking tip line, I do have popper leaders in case I go top water. I did want to tie some 9ft 1 & 0 x leaders but that means that I gotta buy line.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

The size of your leader material should be determined by the size of the fly you are casting and the fish you are casting to. I have a short piece of twenty-five pound test nail knotted on my #6 sink tip with a loop on the end to attach tippet as needed.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Normand Guest

According to Charles Ritz in his book "A Fly Fisher?s Life", the diameter of leader butts should be 60% of the diameter of the end of the fly line. Other formulas indicate that 75% is the optimum butt diameter, but in either case, a leader butt of .017" to .022" satisfies most any formula. A leader butt of 60%-75% is quite ample enough to transmit and disperse casting energy downward to the tippet. Also consider the stiffness of the butt material. It should approximate the stiffness of the fly line.

Yeah, I'm clear on the butt section and I do have the size (s) recommended for my 8wt but what I'm wondering is if whould tie just the 9' of 40pound test to my fly line or maybe taper it to 30 and then 20 or so. In that case I might as well tie a leader.
    I guess I sound I bit confused because...well, I am. I found out by understanding the LeaderCalc2007 that I knew less about leaders than I thought. Just by figuring out how to read the formulas there I learned a ton. I guess the difference now is that I'm not tying leaders for a 3, 4 and 5wt fly line.
    Please be patient with me.
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin

Dave Micus told me that for striper fishing all he ever used when fishing Clousers and Deceivers was a straight 9' piece of 20# Berkely Vanish. He fished a 9' 9wt rod with intermediate line.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

You want a short straight section of flourocarbon as a leader with a sink tip or sinking line.

Unless you are using a fly like a Clouser Minnow, the sinking line is usually heavier than the fly and will pull the fly down. The shorter the leader, the deeper your fly will ride and the short leader will turn over bulkier flies than a tapered longer leader.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread