+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Apology- I Did a Bad Thing...

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default An Apology- I Did a Bad Thing...

Sunday evening just at last light, after having spent the weekend trying to find a moose for my 15-year-old son, his first, we loaded the boat and headed home. We had gone less than a mile from the boat launch and after seeing no moose for the entire weekend we found 7! They were all legal with his tag (a special drawing tag) and he shot a huge old cow.

In a lake...

Shooting moose in lakes is foolish...

At 4AM we finally finished getting the moose loaded and headed for home.

246 lifetimes worth of moose mane is still back there by the lake...

The moose eats good, though...

Sorry for wimping out and not recovering at least a little...
    art

Where is the best place to shoot a moose?

Near a pick up truck!!!!

-Field and Stream long ago.

sorry you didnt' fare as well as you wanted but hey, you got to go a' hunti'n with the boy. Can't beat that.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Hi,

Yes, moose hunting is a lot of fun, until you get one. Then it's just all hard work. Congratulations all the same.

- Jeff

After having hunted so long, dragging that thing out of the water, and field dressing it.... And 4 AM.... I wouldve said screw it too!
    Glad to hear the boy got a moose! THAT is what matters!

Blog Entries

Just shows, Hap, that you are never too much of an old **** to learn.

I shot a deer once with my bow, back when I was in college. Broadhead had come unscrewed, and when I shot, the arrow planed, flew in a big barrel roll, and stuck the deer right in the butt. Aw crap.

Deer took off down the trail towards the truck, which was parked in a log truck turnaround. If that deer had not hit the VERY last tree along the trail, fell over and died on the spot, it would have landed in the bed of my truck on the next bounce.

Turned out the arrow had severed its femoral artery and it bled out in the fifty yards it ran.

Dennis

PS we all coulda used that moose mane, you know. Go back and get it!

Default Bad Dad

Way to go Riley!!!

Photos???

Wish I had been there.

Denny

Blog Entries

Yes, moose mane would still be nice. Congrats on the moose!

Blog Entries

Moose mane is usually pretty easy to come by here. We still have a lifetime supply for us saved from a moose my wife shot. I intended to save some of Riley's moose hide, just because...

Riley keeps walking around saying, "Iwant to go hunting... For RABBITS!"

DG
    I have done stupid stuff lots of times and even been lucky a time or two... But perspective can be a tough thing to recognize. As a kid just a bit younger than Riley my father and I dealt with a moose alone that ran into a bigger lake a died.

We floated a canoe down a river and portaged across to the moose in the lake. Then we cut up the moose in the lake... Which is all the detail I ever recounted until Sunday night when I realized what my old man had been up against with just a skinny kid for help.

And then the moose recovery got difficult...

At the first portage we thought the ponderous freighter canoe would float the moose and us across the shallow pond. It did not. So we mostly dragged the canoe across pond after pond until we reached the river and stashed motor.

We put the brand new '69, 6 horse evinrude on the motor mount and dropped the gas can in the back and realized the thread of life between them was missing... The gas hose was still in the rig several miles upriver. Walking back was not an option.

So we lined the canoe up. Lining is extremely hard work. It seems easy to say the keel held at exactly the right angle to the water will cause it to run right up the river and all you have to do is keep the working the line. And taking a wrap around a convenient tree will give you most of the resistance needed.

What it doesn't begin to tell is how hard the sweepers are to negotiate. Cutting them down with a small meat saw is easier than going around most of them.

It took three full days to get the moose and canoe back to the road.

And I sniveled about Sunday... I am appropriately shamed...
    art

Hap, I'm thinking this time of the year you had plenty of daylight at 4:AM. Waterlogged Moose could be kinda hard to drag tho. Cudos to the son for his kill.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

Negative on the daylight thing... New moon and coming up on the Equinox in three weeks we are down to 14 hours of daylight give or take right now. It was dark as the inside of a cow Sunday night!

+ Reply to Thread