+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heretic

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Heretic

This week I become *OLD* - 50.
    My daughter (who turned 30 recently <snicker>) bless her heart just bought a new boat, and she and her hubby want to take me out fishing Saturday.

I haven't been in years, and all my gear (bobbers etc) stayed with my ex when I got divorced a few years ago.

Well, looks like it's license time for me, and time to pick up some bait, sinkers and bobbers. (live with it...)

When I can afford it (in this economy, god knows when that'll be) I may stumble into the flyfishing store thats a couple miles down the road. I think it's protected from my ilk with force fields though, but I'll write a report on that visit when it comes time.

Till then...
    BOBBER TIME BABY...... I'm going fishing!

RonT,

50!! You call a measly 50 old? I was almost a teenager when you were born and I still ain't old. (That senior discount does come in handy though.)

Happy birthday you young whipper snapper. Enjoy the day with your daughter and son-in-law.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

doncha know you can fish a fly on the end of your spinning outfit? Sheesh!

Ron, I have to brace you for this one.

My bride is 3 months older than I am, so she hits these milestones first.

She hit 30, and 40, without blinking. And so did I. But then 50 really bothered her. I was surprised, but 3 months later it really bothered me too. I think it has something to do with realizing that you have probably used up more than half of your life and the best half (health and energy wise) at that.

The good news is that this bummer feeling only happened at 50. Every year since then has been just fine. That includes 60, which went down without a whimper from either of us. Indeed, since 60 we have spent more time commenting on how surprisingly youthful we are than on how old we are.

So, get through the day and the week. It is mostly uphill from there for several more years!

Happy birthday and great fishing!

Has anyone else here noticed the metamorphosis happening? The butterFLY is slowly emerging. He has begun to mention the "Fly Shop" down the road, and has admitted that perhaps one day it will happen. It's a beautiful thing to watch.
    Happy Birthday Ron. Now go fishing....bobber, weights and all.
    Last edited by Lotech; 08-12-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I went through my "crisis" at 24.
    I thought I was going to be 25 and lamented about it all day. A quarter of a century old!
    When I got home, my wife of then told me, "You're full of crap. You're only 24 today."
    That made it all better. Let's Party!

Oh, and about divorce. I learned there is nothing I had that I couldn't replace with better. Including her.
    So get some clear bobbers, the kind you can add some water to for longer casts.
    Take an open mind to WalMart or Kmart and gear up and go have some fun!
    Good Luck!
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Lotech-- yeah, I noticed that, too. Wasn't going to say anything, though in case he spooked and bolted back to the worm box

Happy birthday, Ron, and like the man said, go fishing, any way you want as long as it gets you out there.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Have fun and don't forget to pick up some cornmeal too.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Are you going for the whale before I have a chance to?

Make sure you have alot of line and alot o fun.

Rick

"50" is OLD? In twenty three days I become 61 and although my mind does not say I am old my battered body tells me I am in the mornings. I was never one to want to go back in time but I sure could handle being "50" once again. As REE said "50" is not old. I think that as one gets older you tend to look forward more to the fun days such as time spent on the river or streams.

Jeff B

+ Reply to Thread