A buddy and I spent a couple of days in the Black Hills. (I know, Betty, there are no trout in the Black Hills.)

Caught a bunch of eager but small Brookies in Castle & Ditch Creeks above Deefield Lake along with a couple of nice Rainbows. At the confluence of Castle and Ditch Creeks my buddy caught the biggest Brookie I've seen caught in that stretch of water. Probably went about 12". Not a monster by any means but certainly a nice "trophy" for that particular water.

We also spent some time on Rapid Creek below Pactola Reservoir. For those of you not familiar with this water, it typically holds the largest trout in the Black Hills but they are a bugger to catch. One can walk along the first 200-300 yards of this stretch and see browns and rainbows happily feeding away, sipping bugs off the surface and snatching up nymphs. A person can spend an entire day fishing here, trying everything in the fly box and never get a fish's attention. Our theory is that this small chunk of water gets SO much pressure that these fish have seen every artificial fly ever tied. People get out of their car, walk along the water and see these fish stacked up and never get any further down steam. This makes these fish EXTREMELY difficult to catch.

Armed with this theory my buddy and I decided the thing to do would be to park the pickup and walk down stream a long ways and fish back, thus getting past the fish that everyone else hammers away at. We hiked down stream for about an hour and a half and began fishing back up stream with absolutely NO LUCK! After an hour of fishing with no results it occurred to us that we haven't even SEEN a fish. We abandoned the actual fishing for a while and simply started walking back up stream, stopping at likely looking holes and run and trying to spot some fish. Still nothing.

Now, you probably know where this is going. When we got back to the stretch of stream we were trying to avoid in the first place I caught 2 of the nicest Browns I've ever caught...

200 YARDS FROM THE PICKUP WE LEFT 4 HOUR EARLIER!!!

All-in-all a very nice trip!