+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tarpon Reel

1. Default Tarpon Reel

Flyfished for trout for over 30 years. Now want the saltwater experience. I know that the guides carry the gear, but I prefer to practice and be equipped with my own gear for other times. Which 12 weight reel do you prefer ABEL Super 12, 11 or the Tibor Gulfstream. I know there must be some personal preferences based upon usage and not the typical ford v. chevy response. Thanks

Catskill

I have a Super 11 and have used a borrowed Gulfstream. Not for Tarpon but for Mako Sharks (up to 150lbs) and Tuna. I consider these and the Super 12 to be equivalent in performance and function with some variation in weight. They are all reels you can hand down to the next generation. I like the Super 11 because it is a bit lighter, though the differerence really noticable by me over the course of a day, but it will also accept the super 9 spool. I use the super 11 on my 9 through 13wt rods. I actually won this reel in a raffle, but if picking only one of your three choices that is the one I would pick because I use my 9-11 wt rods more than I do the 12 and 13wt. I have about 400 yards of 50lb Power Pro spectra for backing on my Super 11 and that is more than enough most things. Even 250 yards of 30 dacron should be sufficient for most situation because you can chase fish down. The Super 11 sort of falls between the Tibor Riptide and Gulfstream in size. If I used 12-15 wt rods more I would pick the Super 12 or Gulfstream.

You wont go wrong regardless of your choice from these three.

+ Reply to Thread