+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sink tip length?

Hybrid View

Default Sink tip length?

Just got a line with a 20' level sink tip off the front. That's way too long for what I need. Lakes where I fish would be 10ft max and the rivers are 7' max. Given these numbers what would you cut tip back too? it is a type 6 super fast sink tip..
    Janus

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Just got a line with a 20' level sink tip off the front. That's way too long for what I need. Lakes where I fish would be 10ft max and the rivers are 7' max. Given these numbers what would you cut tip back too? it is a type 6 super fast sink tip..
    Janus
    If this is a built in tip cutting it back is going to have an effect on how the line casts. The tip section was likely figured into the line's grain weight so the more you cut off the lighter the line gets and the more it will affect the way the line casts. I would take it slow.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Didn't think about that..thanks.

The length of the sink tip is not the water depth it is to be used for. You can use a full sinking line in a foot of water.

Default Shortened sink tip..

Kerry is right on Janus....wife won a sink tip (she always wins drawings) at a fly show and someone cut it and i need to have a good amount of line out to get the 9wt. loaded. It's fine for swinging for steel but nearly useless close in.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

You specifically do not want a sink tip to suddenly fall down and start sinking from the floating section forward... The slack created at the turn makes it impossible to feel takes and softens hook sets...

Figure out how fast the line sinks and use a leader that sinks at the same rate (Johnson's paste wax will slow a leader sink rate... Xink will speed it up). You want everything to remain as straight as possible while sinking and start your retrieve based on timing the sink to maintain the right depth for the fish.
    art

the tip is not going to sink straight down 20' especially in the river. You'd likely have to wait a good while before that would happen. I am still experimenting with my sink tips and it takes some doing.

Thanks for all the information. I have used full sinking lines in lakes before and found them very useful. I was fishing muddlers unweighted on a straight mono leader so the fly actually rode above the bottom when the line was fully sunk. worked very well and kept me out of snags.. first time with a sinktip. Price was right and well ah you know how that goes.. I will take it out as is and experiment till I can get it to work for me. I'm assuming a fluorocarbon straight leader might work best?

+ Reply to Thread