+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a first time freshwater kayak

Default Suggestions for a first time freshwater kayak

Looking for suggestions for a freshwater kayak for flyfishing smaller lakes for panfish and largemouth bass.

Am thinking of taking the plunge (I hope not into the lake) into this mode of fishing. Easy maneuverability, portability, amenities for rod, accessories, etc.

Budget would only allow for approximately $1000.00, hopefully a lot less!

Thanks in advance!

Bob

p.s. Is casting from a seated position very tiring? I'm 61 years young.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

You might look at these:

www.nucanoe.com

They are a sponsor. I own one and really enjoy mine. Kayak bottom, paddles very easily with a double paddle and have the advantge of sitting with your knees bent instead of straight out in front of you.

Very stable, comfortable, weight 65lbs for the 10' one and 85lbs for the 12' one.

I highly recommend them...Give them a look-over and see what you think...

By the way, I'm 61 years old too and love my 10' NuCanoe. I did purchase their optional seat bracket so that I could install a swivel seat.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 04-28-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

For lakes you probably need a shorter kayak, but I would not go below 12 feet. You also need to watch the weight if you are going to be loading and unloading it by yourself. My first choice would be an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. It weights about 54 pounds and is very stable. Wilderness system Tarpon 120 would be another choice. It is a little heavier, but still manageable. For weight and durability, the best bet would be a Huricane Pheonix 120, which weighs in at 38 pounds, but you will likely go over the $1,000 to get one fully equiped.

Notice all of these are sit on top kayaks. They tend to be a little wetter, but are much easier to get in and out of, and cast from. Make sure you get a good seat with good back support.

As far as casting from a seated position, it is all technique. You will loose about 10 to 20 feet on your distance, but you make up for that with stealth. It is not tiring, it just takes practice.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

ive got a hobie revolution, love it. its a little over your budget, but it comes complete. you dont have to buy any extras like a paddle or a seat. as far as mobility and ease of operation , you cant beat it. sit back and peddle, both your hands are free to fish with. very stabile, i dont think i could roll it even if i wanted to. weight is between 50 and 60 pounds , i think. im 60, and have no trouble carting it around.

i use it in the marshes of texas and the rivers and lakes of the adirondaks. cant say enough good things about it.

what ever you decide on, make sure you get a little seat time in it before you buy it.

In my opinion, you really only have two choices; go with a Hobie Outback (or one of the other models with peddles) or wish that you had. I fish out of my Hobie Outback 90% of the time for the past four years and I wouldn't swap it for any other kayak on the market, unless it was a newer Hobie Outback. If you shop around on Craig's list, ebay etc., you should be able to get one within your budget. I picked mine up off of ebay locally for around $850. Once you try one, you'll never go back. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

I also have a Hobie Revolution and can vouch for it. I love using the pedals rather than the paddles and have discovered an additional benefit of using the pedals. When going against the wind with paddles every time you raise the paddle to take another stroke you have a wind catcher. With the pedals you don't have that. The mirage drive, the Hobie's propulsion system, is always in the water and always providing power so you can make good progress against the wind or current and just keep moving right along at a good speed.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfly View Post
    For lakes you probably need a shorter kayak, but I would not go below 12 feet. You also need to watch the weight if you are going to be loading and unloading it by yourself. My first choice would be an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. It weights about 54 pounds and is very stable. Wilderness system Tarpon 120 would be another choice. It is a little heavier, but still manageable. For weight and durability, the best bet would be a Huricane Pheonix 120, which weighs in at 38 pounds, but you will likely go over the $1,000 to get one fully equiped.

Notice all of these are sit on top kayaks. They tend to be a little wetter, but are much easier to get in and out of, and cast from. Make sure you get a good seat with good back support.

As far as casting from a seated position, it is all technique. You will loose about 10 to 20 feet on your distance, but you make up for that with stealth. It is not tiring, it just takes practice.
    Good suggestions above. Also check out MR and Heritage Redfish models. 12-13 ft should do ya and keep the weight manageable.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Another fishing kayak to consider is a Native Watercraft Ultimate. I just purchased an Ultimate 12. I have less than 2 hours in it so far, but have spent about half of that standing up and paddling. It barely meets your budget at about $970.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_12.cfm

Scott
    Waupaca, WI

I just picked up a Hobie Outback from the FAOL BB this winter, and so far, I love it. I use it for lake fishing bass, bluegills, crappie, and pike. It's a touch heavy for getting on and off a roof rack, but otherwise, it's perfect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    I also have a Hobie Revolution and can vouch for it. I love using the pedals rather than the paddles and have discovered an additional benefit of using the pedals. When going against the wind with paddles every time you raise the paddle to take another stroke you have a wind catcher. With the pedals you don't have that. The mirage drive, the Hobie's propulsion system, is always in the water and always providing power so you can make good progress against the wind or current and just keep moving right along at a good speed.
    Absolutely not true about paddling against the wind. If you feather your paddle correctly, each blade slices through the wind horizontally. Please know what you're talking about before you post. Thank you.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread