A few have asked for the recipe of a popular bug I tie, so I thought I'd post it here for any and all fly tyers to peruse. I don't claim to have invented this fly, but what I tie here did originate at my vise, although I have seen other similar bugs out there.

Here's the bug:

Here's the recipe:

HOOK: DaiRiki 125, size #14
BEAD: Gold or Copper to fit hook size
THREAD: Uni 8/0, Black
TAIL: Yellow-dyed Pheasant-tail, about 6 to 10 barbs
RIB: Uni wire, small size, color to match bead
ABDOMEN: Hareline Dubbin Ice Dub, Pearl w/ red hue
THORAX: Peacock herl
Wing-case: Yellow-dyed Pheasant-tail doubled from amount used for tail and back of abdomen
LEGS: Brahma Hen Feather splayed under wing-case

Attach thread. Tie in pheasant tail feathers for short to med length tail at bend of hook. Secure ribbing wire at bend of hook. Dub fairly fat abdomen with Ice Dub to 2/3rds up hook shank. Pull pheasant tail barbs over abdomen and tie down. Rib with wire and tie off. Tie in enough pheasant-tail fibers to equal twice what was used for tail and back of abdomen. Tie in Peacock - 2 or three barbs - (I like to make a dubbing brush by twisting the peacock with my tying thread). Wrap peacock thorax up to bead. Cut tip out of Brahma Hen feather and secure loosely on top of Thorax with feather tips pointed to rear of fly. Pull Pheasant-tail fibers over top of thorax with hen feather legs under it, secure with two loose wraps. Pull hen feather forward until the fibers create length of legs you prefer. Securely bind down the wing-case/hen feather legs and finish fly.

I hope it wasn't as clear as mud, but maybe a bit clearer. If you have questions don't hesitate to PM me for assistance. I've got a few more I'd be willing to share if anyone is interested.

Kelly