+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 ft Nymphing rod

Default 10 ft Nymphing rod

I've heard a lot of nice things about longer 9'6" and 10' flyrods when it comes to nymphing so last night while bored at work I decided to look some up online and ended up purchasing an Elkhorn Traveler 10" 6wt w/ a Ross CLA and Rio Nymph line. Anyone on this forum like to nymph fish w/ a 10 footer?

I figured it could also double as a nice great lakes steel head rod as well.

I think that you are going to have a grand time with that outfit. I own a 10' 7 wt and while they are a little heavier than their shorter counter parts they have some nice advantages. You'll have a blast with the 6. Tell us when you get it and how you like it.

Rick

Like Rick I like the longer rod & use them whenever I can. I have a 10 ft 2 weight, a 9'9" 5 wt and a 10 ft 7 wt and enjoy all of them.

Tim

I have a 10' 5wt 'tis my favorite. Also have an 11' 6wt that is a favorite...and it is surprisingly not that heavy. It feels no different in the hand than a 9' rod!

Gemrod
    Last edited by Gemrod; 04-17-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: add sig

Default Still Looking For Mine

I'm still looking for a (light) 4 or 5 wt., 10-footer for nymphing. I need some suggestions. It has to be light because I have a tender shoulder. I built on a blank my buddy generously gave me for Chirstmas, but it's a little heavy and I'm going to use it for steelheading.

Lastchance,

Almost every rod manufacturer has 10' 5wt models. Not sure about a 4wt however b/c I was not in the market for one. Price is a big issue with me so I limited my selections to a few companies like TFO, Elkhorn, Cabelas and the like. TFO makes a nice 10' 5wt which I almost purchased but I went for the Elkhorn instead b/c I own several other Elkhorn rods and the have a great lifetime warranty for pretty cheap. The sage z axis 10' 5wt supposedly is the holy grail of such long rods but I didn't have 700 bucks laying around!

Hi Panman, A 10' 2wt?
    Please tell me more about this rod. I just recently purchased aTFO 8' 2wt. I wondered how it would perform, since I like shorter rods in lower weights and had been using a 6'6" previous to my 8' rod. I've only lawn cast the 8' so far but i really like the feel and it has enough backbone to throw the line further than I would typically need on small creeks.

I'm just wondering with all that extra length in a 2wt, would it be a med flex rod? Can you cast a good distance, say 60 to 70 feet with it?

This is kind of a worthless post because it doesn't tell you anything. But...I have a 10' Full Flex 3wt blank I intend to build someday....when I get around to it.

Gemrod

You are fishing for SH using a ten foot rod,,, and you have a 'bad' shoulder? hmmm.

lastchance

Still Looking For Mine
    I'm still looking for a (light) 4 or 5 wt., 10-footer for nymphing. I need some suggestions. It has to be light because I have a tender shoulder. I built on a blank my buddy generously gave me for Chirstmas, but it's a little heavy and I'm going to use it for steelheading.

Well you got me there JC. Fact is that is why I might not go tomorrow. But I might go for the pot luck portion. Good eats. I have trouble with boaf my shoulders. But it is my left shoulder that I tweaked twice this week. Going to call a doc in Flagstaff that does nothing but shoulders. He should know what to do and how to do it. So my casting arm is ok for now....but...now that you mention it......even the left arm is involved and that part might not go too well. I HAVE been fishing with my 10' but not for awhile now. It's a Fetha Styx 3pc 10' 5wt....and so far my favorite rod. But then...I haven't used a lot of my other rods yet. But I sure like the Fetha Styx Predator rod I have.

Gem
    Oh...yes....I fish....with bad shoulders.....I rip open my shirt and there is a big S on my chest. But it does not stand for "SUPERMAN". For me it stands for STUPID.

+ Reply to Thread