+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook Organization

Hybrid View

Default Hook Organization

So, how do you guys and gals organize your hooks?

For decades, I've just kept them in the original package (remember the old Mustad boxes?) I admit that recently I've toyed with the idea of getting a little better organized and dumping them into a "bead" box -- fourteen individual compartments per box, curved bottom, individually latching lids. I'm thinking size 10 - 22 standard dry fly hooks on one side, scud/emerger hooks on the other. Then another box for nymph and "specialty" hooks.

Anyone else do that or anything like that?

Any thoughts, pluses or minuses?

One thing I've done for size 14 and smaller is that I've shifted over to the "big eye" hooks - both straight eye and down eye. I imagine that I'd just be mixing these together in the same size, but I might hold one of them out as "specialty" hooks or just leave them in the original packaging.

Advice?
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

If you do it make sure the box has rounded bottoms and glue magnets in the bottom of each bin to keep them in place.

I use a box like this for standard dry and wet hooks.

I use the packages that the hooks come in for everything else.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture6 View Post
    So, how do you guys and gals organize your hooks?

For decades, I've just kept them in the original package (remember the old Mustad boxes?) I admit that recently I've toyed with the idea of getting a little better organized and dumping them into a "bead" box -- fourteen individual compartments per box, curved bottom, individually latching lids. I'm thinking size 10 - 22 standard dry fly hooks on one side, scud/emerger hooks on the other. Then another box for nymph and "specialty" hooks.

Anyone else do that or anything like that?

Any thoughts, pluses or minuses?

One thing I've done for size 14 and smaller is that I've shifted over to the "big eye" hooks - both straight eye and down eye. I imagine that I'd just be mixing these together in the same size, but I might hold one of them out as "specialty" hooks or just leave them in the original packaging.

Advice?
    I purchased a hook box that is distributed by Umpqua. I also cut up strips of magnetics to place on the bottom. Truth be told, some of the hooks are still in the orginal packaging that I just stuffed into the purchased hook box.

Here's a way....

If you look at the craft stores either Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you'll find a box that has 14 individual locking compartments; 7 on each side. It is used for beading and has a rounded bottom, but the big advantage is the locking mechanism and the fact that each compartment has it's own lid. You have to push a rod at the end of the box, then open the compartment you want to access. That way if you accidently drop the box, only the open compartment will dump the hooks. Still a bit of a mess, but a LOT less hassel than 14 compartments of similar size/model hooks scattering out on the rug and you have to find them a sort them. These boxes are cheap so you can get one for each kind of hook, (i.e. dry fly, scud, etc).

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    If you look at the craft stores either Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you'll find a box that has 14 individual locking compartments; 7 on each side. It is used for beading and has a rounded bottom, but the big advantage is the locking mechanism and the fact that each compartment has it's own lid. You have to push a rod at the end of the box, then open the compartment you want to access. That way if you accidently drop the box, only the open compartment will dump the hooks. Still a bit of a mess, but a LOT less hassel than 14 compartments of similar size/model hooks scattering out on the rug and you have to find them a sort them. These boxes are cheap so you can get one for each kind of hook, (i.e. dry fly, scud, etc).

Jim Smith
    Jim - that's the exact box that I have. Right now it has bead heads, cone heads, and the like in it. I was looking for a couple more for hooks.

All - I hadn't thought about the magnets. Makes sense. Do you put the magnet in the bottom of the compartment or would it work to glue it on to the bottom on the outside? I have a magnetic strip mounted on my tying table next to my vice where I'll lay out six, eight, ten, or twelve hooks for my "production" tying.

Ducksterman - I like the peg board and split rings. I'm not quite at that stage yet, but I like it. Something to work towards!

Thanks everyone!
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries

A lot of them stay in the original packaging. I do have a couple of hook boxes, and I have learned the hard way that there MUST be a magnet for each compartment, for I WILL drop it on the floor. I also tend to take identical hooks from mulitple packages and stick them in one package. You can put a lot of #18 hooks on two square inches of magnet.

Now, don't ask me to FIND a particular size and style...

Default I'm hooked

I don't tye much but when I do I'm in no hurry so all my hooks are in their original packages and all those are just tossed into the bottom half of a big candy box and that in turn is inside
    my totally portable tying station, i.e. a bigger wooden box.

Finding materials is relaxing to me...kind of like
    resting fish. Gives me a moment to take a breath, look around at all the things I should be doing then getting a smile as I silently say, 'uh, no'...then begin tying something or other.

So basically, my hooks aren't sorted, just a big wad of hook boxes in increasingly bigger boxes.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    I don't tye much but when I do I'm in no hurry so all my hooks are in their original packages and all those are just tossed into the bottom half of a big candy box and that in turn is inside
    my totally portable tying station, i.e. a bigger wooden box.

Finding materials is relaxing to me...kind of like
    resting fish. Gives me a moment to take a breath, look around at all the things I should be doing then getting a smile as I silently say, 'uh, no'...then begin tying something or other.

So basically, my hooks aren't sorted, just a big wad of hook boxes in increasingly bigger boxes.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I can definitely see your point. What motivated me was that I sat down to tie a batch of size 14 and size 16 biot body BWOs and found that I was down to two size 14 standard dry hooks and 4 size 16 standard hooks. I figured that if they were in the clear bead box I'd have a quick reference for what I was running low on. The nearest fly shop of any consequence is about 45 minutes away.

Default Running out

Ah, ok Vulture...well true, you'd know when you're about to run out.
    I got crazy once...well...prolly more than once...but in the
    case of fly hooks, I dropped a bunch of money on them when
    Cabela's had a free shipping moment and I prolly won't run out of
    anything anytime soon unless it's #4 streamer hooks or
    #4 Mustad salmon/steelhead hooks. Otherwise I'm way caught up !

Looks like you got great advice and ideas from all..

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread