+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reel seat question

Hybrid View

Default Reel seat question

I got my kit today and already have questions...

Reel seat (downlocking but that will not make any difference) is about 3 and 1/4 inch long. I need to build up the blank about 1/8 of an inch to get a good fit. The graphite arbors or polyurathene shims will not work of course so I am using masking tape. My question is how to do this correctly. Do I wrap three bands - one at each and and one in the middle or should this be solid wrap? If only bands then do I fill that space with epoxy or leave it hollow?

Thanks.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I have always used three bands and then as much slow dry epoxy as will fit between the blank and reel seat. The more the better.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Me too. Masking tape. And, I've never had a problem doing it that way. Unless I put too much epoxy between the tapes. Then it will ooze out, but you can put your butt cap over the ooze, if you clean it up a bit before it sets.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I am a little parinoid about things comming apart so with 1/2 inch masking tape I build up as many times as necessary leaving about 1/4 inch space between each wrap. I then apply rod bond between the wraps making sure I have rod bond on both sides of the tape and on top of the tap. even if the tape was to some how disinigrate the rod bond would still hold the reel seat in place and you would not be able to move it. The tape wraps are only for stability and for lack of better words forms to pour the rod bond into. Just my 2 cents. Oh yes and for the record I only use rod bond due to the fact it is slow drying, easy to mix, and once it sets up you ain't going to get it loose very easy. and it is inexpensive.

My method is more like Harley's. Have never had an incident where it's come apart. I also try the seat on over the wraps to make sure it's fairly snug, before bonding up. Calipers come in handy, too.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty you are so right I forgot to mention that in my post thank you for bringing that up. A very important part of the fit.

+ Reply to Thread