+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA Sharkskin WF-9-F (free)

Hybrid View

Default SA Sharkskin WF-9-F (free)

This is the Scientific Anglers 'Steelhead' taper, 110 feet, Optic green. They sent it to me as a Christmas gift. I'm going to make it available to you.
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...kin/Steelhead/

Why should I give it to you, for free? Because you will answer 'on here' just why YOU would be the best person to do a FIELD TEST REPORT for FAOL.

I want a 'product Review' of this line. Your job, if you should decide you would be willing to do one, is to reply on here and CONVINCE ME. I will pick one of you and send you the line. I've got it right here now, it will go out to you fast. I will expect you to fish the line (for steelhead), take a couple of usable pictures for the 'Product Review,' write it up and email it to us. Whoever does the best job of convincing me gets the line. It is, of course, new and in the box. You might like to check our 'Product Review' section.

You game? Lets see how well you do.

Two hours and no takers?

Too bad that it's not the saltwater flyline, as it could be evaluated by the CHFF at the all-day mid-January fly casting clinic, fly casting games & club picnic. Great offer for the steelheaders !

Mister Castwell,

If you are interested in opening up the requirments to fish other than steelhead I would be willing to do a review of the line for new england saltwater. I fish the salt by fly all winter long with traditional salmon and steelhead methods for striped bass. Modern cast and strip saltwater methods are a bore. I play with fly lines of all types to get a feel for how they fish rather than how they just cast.

I have heard all the reviews of how well the line casts. I would be willing to give a review of how well it swings, mends, drifts, floats, and drags in relation to winter fishing conditions.

I have yet to cast or use a sharkskin so I have no idea how well this line will work for my applications.

Thanks for a shot at this.

Nick

I think it is quite simple really. That line really seems over priced. I fish the SA Mastery series, notablly the GPS, because it is the best I have used. As a university student (studying philosophy) and avid fly angler I have been wary of this line. Although the line looks promising is it difficult not to give into the idea; "its a gimmick".

I live in Newfoundland Canada. Eventhough there is plenty of fishing, steelhead is not an abundant fishery. There are small pockets of rainbows and migratory rainbows on the Avalon. Sea trout, brown trout, brook trout and Atlantic Salmon are some of the species right around the corner from me.

I would be happy to feild test this line. Cheifly to see why there ought to be a new class of fly lines in the $100 range.

Phil

Damn Newfies always get there first
    Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Tyer View Post
    Although the line looks promising is it difficult not to give into the idea; "its a gimmick".
    Phil
    I used a 10 wt sharkskin in North Carolina saltwater and after using it for a day, I am satisfied in saying that its no gimmick. Long casts behaved well in 40 degree air and the line picked off the water easily for another cast.The line didnt tangle on the floor of the boat even though i never stretched it as I normally do with a line to help remove the memory. It made noise in the guides but I'm hard of hearing so that didnt bother me either. I liked it a lot.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Sounds like a match made in heaven. I fish almost exclusively for steelhead and salmon. In my state they are available every month of the year so the article will be quickly available. It is time for a new line and except for a $5 line from the local super market, I have been using the same old SA lines since the 60's and early 70's.

I promise to use it in the same place I got the 40 incher earlier this Summer. With the Winter run in, they might be bigger now. It will be bigger water this time of year so the line will earn its keep. I'll use it on the No Santiam, the same river I wrote about last time but the time then was Summer and the water shallow and clear. Things change. Probably same fly: Pete's R&B unless I go for something brighter like Pete's Santiam Sunrise. I'll use the Gatti rod and the Martin 72 3:1 multiplier.
    Last edited by Pete Hiatt; 12-14-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Default S A Sharkskin

Will be fishing Erie tribs week of March 23 with a group of serious fishermen. Can set line up on a decent reel and switch it to different rods to see results. Sometimes different set-ups make a difference. We fish most streams from Elk and Walnut down to Raccoon. Would offer plenty of different conditions to see if line can shine. If line performs well comments will be in depth. If less than stellar results comments will reflect that perhaps for others equipment might be more suitable. I always keep in mind that the nut fastened to end of rod is a large factor in results obtained. Some of my friends mention that the nut is not fully tight in my case. If I get opportunity to test line it will then be used as a prize at the Pa. Fish In Pine Creek Valley. Lots of steelhead talk there while we are chasing trout. Thanks for considering my offer.

I own the Sharkskin line in 5wt, and would believe this to be a "big water" line, and not something to be used on small streams. I took the 5wt to Michigan and the Au Sable (Mio and above) was the wrong water for this line, IMO. Product testing of this line should be done on water that would maximize its potential for shooting line long distances with little effort. Not a small water line.

But hey, what do I know. I spend more time baking bread than fishing anyway. Forget I even mentioned it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread