+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not FF: Save the 'stangs!

Default Not FF: Save the 'stangs!

I found this on another forum. Apparently, in a Rhode Island is a forest of classic cars, some very well preserved. But now the govt' wants them to be crushed.
    http://jalopnik.com/5102534/massive-...-island-forest
    Here's a satellite view, showing the sheer area it covers!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=19&iwloc=addr

Blog Entries

If you have ever mowed your yard and found a car, you might be a redneck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Pack_Rat
    It's sad that those cars were just left to rot.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

Actually there is a small fortune in parts sitting there. Absolute rotted out basket case 'Stangs from the 60's to early 70's will bring prices in the thousands of dollars. As long as they have viable VIN's on them they are worth some money. My uncle owns a salvage yard (we used to call them "Wrecking Yards") in western Pennsylvania. He will tell you that it is a dream to have someone call to have "That old junker" towed off and it turns out to be a Mustang. I have seen him get thousands for ones that woudl literally fall apart if not handled gently.

Leave it to Uncle Sam to go around bailing out thieves at our expense and then scrap something of real value. Go figure. I suspect that a Salvage Dealer will see this, do the clean up and "Save" or recycle the 'Stangs.

I had a 1965 Silver Blue Notch Back with the H.O. 289 4V, Rug Top Loader 4 speed with a Hurst Indy Competition H-Pattern shifter and "Pony Package". That car was F*A*S*T! A real head turner too (chick magnet). I sold it before it killed me! I was born in the year of the Mustang. DANG IT I MISS MY 'STANG!!!

We scrapped a 56' (I think) Olds four door not too long ago. When they took it off our trailer with a forklift, it pulled the top right off. Had a spare in the trunk with a Union 76 radial. Must have been in there a while.

Hate to see stuff like this disappear, but it's bound to happen.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Default old cars. not ff

I hobby at restoring classic cars. The problem with most of them is rust especially in Rhode Island. Although there might be salvagable parts on those cars, there is also a lot of rust. Ya might get 20 lbs of parts that are good out of a 2000 lb piece of junk.
    My son deals in vintage motorcycles. A while back he came across a 40 acre property in Texas that had to be cleaned off because of a highway project. (imminent domain) The 100 or so vehicles parked there were from the 20's to the early 60's. One car we were interested in was a '40 cadillac sedanette
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...tte/index.html
    The one on the link is not the one from Texas. Just an example. It ain't ours. Well, he dug around taking photos and even got the door on the passengers side to open. The total car was rusted out. floor boards kickers, rocker panels. What apperared to be surface rust at first on the hood and fenders could be pushed through with a screwdriver. Sad but true, a lot of old cars, though nostalgic, end up in a crusher and melted down to make cans to hold beans.
    The true finds are the ones under a tarp in Uncle Earnie's barn. 1955 Chevy Bel Aire Convertible sitting next to a '47 Harley knucklehead. And Aunt Marsha says to just take them 'cause Earnie ain't never gonna fix'em. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread