+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any opinions on this vise

Hybrid View

Default Any opinions on this vise

As a beginner I'm trying to get the biggest bang for the buck so I've been searching the web and I seem to come back to the Fly Master Supreme on this site. Any opinions?
    http://store.beekflies.com/flytyingtools.html

I used one of these for a travel vise for a few years. It served it's purpose, but I'd never go back. Why not buy from an FAOL sponsor, and support this site? The price is even lower......

http://www.hookhack.com/vises.html#Anchor-STANDAR-43190

I am not a big fan. They do not last long and are trouble prone.
    For that price point the griffin 1A or 2A are great vises. They hold hooks very well, made in the States, and Griffin backs their products.

Joe Fox

if ya think ya gonna be into tying (its real adictive) i would bypass those vises and get a rotary cause sooner or later ya ARE gonna want one... a danvise runs about 60$ but is a really good rotary that does the same thing the more expensive rotery vises do... ive been using one fer a year now & i tie lotsa flies... also my tying students use one...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

go for a griffin montana pro. I recieved one as a gift a few years ago and for general tying it is all you could want. But for other tying it lacks a little. If i didnt tye atlantic salmon flies I dont think I would want another vice... although that nor vice is sexy.

phil

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I say like Heritage does...buy from one of our sponsors......
    As for vise style, the camlock fixed style like you showed can hold a hook very well and tight, but some of the cheaper ones do not. As for me, it's the type I use, and have for 40 years. I started with one from Herter's. I got me a cheap one a few years ago, made in India, which I suspect the one you showed is. The jaws were very soft, and it didn't last too long. I then built my own, designed after a Thompson fixed cam-lock style, and I like it. I've never used a rotary much, and don't feel the need for one, but many will disagree there. It's a matter of what you like. I reccomend you go for an inexoensive, fixed camlock type to start, and attend a show or two, or visit a few fly shops and try a few different vises out to choose what you want for the long run. No real way to tell what you're gonna like without actually using the tool... My 2 cents
    .................................MoodocDan

Thumbs up I chose Hook and Hackle

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    I used one of these for a travel vise for a few years. It served it's purpose, but I'd never go back. Why not buy from an FAOL sponsor, and support this site? The price is even lower......

http://www.hookhack.com/vises.html#Anchor-STANDAR-43190
    As usual a lot of great response. I decided to go with Hook and Hackle's Presentation Kit because I need all tools. They also gave me their 10% discount!!!! Also mentioned FAOL.
    Thanks Heritage Angler

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Donat, very good choice!

I think you made a wise choice. First of all, Hook and Hackle are sponsors here and very good people. Second, I think the presentation kit will serve you well and you can always upgrade at your leisure if you want. 8T

+ Reply to Thread