Hi All,

Over the years, many of my grade eight students have asked me to show them how to tie flies, or take them fishing. I have, in the past, been able to teach a few how to tie a wooly bugger, but rarely have we gotten past that (due to a lack of equipment and materials).

This year, a friend and I have decided to start a fly-tying and fly-fishing club for kids 12 - 18. I can use my classroom to teach fly tying, and the gym to teach students how to cast. When spring comes, we can take kids to the local river and creeks to fish for trout and bass (once the season opens)and to Ontario's Grand River to fish for browns. I also have a contact at the Ministry of Natural Resources who will set up stream projects in which the students may participate.

Has anyone out there had experience with setting up such a program. If so, any adivce would be appreciated. I'd like to make this a free service, but have also thought of charging participants enough money so that each student could recieve his/her own vise, tying tools, materials to make 10 of each fly (12 flies learned in total), and a rod and reel combo complete with line, leader, and backing (local service clubs might be able to sponsor a child who otherwise could not afford to participate). Let me make this clear, this is a non-profit endeavour.

As always, your help and advice is appreciated.

Andrew