+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding pin hole leaks in gore tex waders

Default Finding pin hole leaks in gore tex waders

Is there a trick to this? I seem to remember brushing on alcohol??? Or is that for consumption whilst repairing?

--Rich

You,re right on about the "consumption" . After consumin , you may not find the pinhole leaks but you will find you care a whole lot less about them. This works well untill the next time you need to use the waders. For immediate remedy, repeat the process. This works well untill..................................

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Here's the link:
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/005549.html:c42c4]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/005549.html[/url:c42c4]

Nice idea with the alcohol.

I had some pin hole leaks in an old pair of breathable waders right around ther tops of the neoprene boot area. I found them by basically filling the waders with water and detecting the leaks on the outside of the waders. I emptied them, turn them inside out and let them dry. I sealed the leaks by brushing the inside with a water based brush on sealer used to seal the bottom of tents. I got the sealer from REI, however I am sure it is available from other stores selling tents. It is not the thick sealer in a tube, but a thinner solution that comes in a small bottle. It is water based and drys to be very flexible. It seems to have done the job.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

filling with water works best for me too, you will find them all, I mark the holes with a marker, and let them dry, then I take care of them with aquaseal on the inside...works for me..

I have found that the old method of going into a dark closet and shining a flashlight around inside the waders until you find the hole doesn't seem to work as well with breathable waders as it used to with non-breathable ones, unless you know almost exactly where the leak is coming from. The Loon UV products work well for repairing the hole, once you find it.
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread