Late Sunday afternoon I fished a blizzard mayfly hatch with my favorite emerger pattern (I'll post a pic and recipe), and caught some 30 or so fish, 6 or so really good fat trout in the 14 - 18 in range, and 1 cut throat about 20 inches.

The spot is a bend, with a cat 2 riffle on the outside bend, and the fish are in the foam line/transition area on the inside of the bend. Its only 300 yards up from my house, but the water is too deep to get there on foot, and I would have to cross 7 properties (and I only know 4 of the 7 owners). So, I drive up a mile to a public park, and then walk down. Last night I wanted to fish it again, but I couldn't leave until 6:00 PM, so I really had to hump.

I get to the spot, and a guy is there fishing it, a fly fisher I have seen around, but never actually met. He worked down the run and made room for me.

To make this emerger work, you have to figure out how the fish want it to move. With all the hurrying, I just couldn't get it going right, and got skunked in the same spot I had caught 30 fish the day before.

But, I did meet my fellow fly fisher finally, and we made the mile walk upstream to the park together in the dark, talking about the steelhead run and flies.

Somehow I always end up having to justify why I sometimes just want to fish for trout but lately I don't. If they don't get it, I don't think I should explain.

He was a nice guy, even though he admits he fishes Touvelle.

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 11 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 11 October 2005).]