+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good "memory" is bad and bad "memory" is good.

Question Good "memory" is bad and bad "memory" is good.

Yes, when it comes to flylines good "memory" is bad and vice versa! I seem to have a hard time to find a flyline that has no "memory" at all. Since I am from Iceland, fish only locally and the temperature is usually rather cool in the summer compared to most other countries the problem is even worse for me. So I like to ask, does anyone here know about flylines that have no or at least very bad "memory"?

jhthorisson -

First of all, welcome and greetings to the FAOL Bulletin Board from SE Idaho.

If you haven't been exploring this whole website, you've got some good wandering around to do in your future.

There are always plenty of good, helpful folks ready to lend a hand and offer an answer or opinion.

There may well be better lines for your purpose, but I'm very well satisfied with the Rio Selective Trout II. The line is well matched by wt designation to the rods I use.

We do get some pretty cold weather around here, and I use the Selective Trout lines on my 3 wt, 5 wt and 7 wt year round, fishing lots of days with the air temps at or close to freezing, occasionally down into the mid 20's. Some "memory" on really cold days, but always very manageable.

Enjoy your stay. ( And someone is bound to say something like "the new guy brings the donuts" but it won't be me. )

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 08-03-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    jhthorisson -

First of all, welcome and greetings to the FAOL Bulletin Board from SE Idaho.

If you haven't been exploring this whole website, you've got some good wandering around to do in your future.

There are always plenty of good, helpful folks ready to lend a hand and offer an answer or opinion.

There may well be better lines for your purpose, but I'm very well satisfied with the Rio Selective Trout II. The line is well matched by wt designation to the rods I use.

We do get some pretty cold weather around here, and I use the Selective Trout lines on my 3 wt, 5 wt and 7 wt year round, fishing lots of days with the air temps at or close to freezing, occasionally down into the mid 20's. Some "memory" on really cold days, but always very manageable.

Enjoy your stay. ( And someone is bound to say something like "the new guy brings the donuts" but it won't be me. )

John
    Thanks. I am fairly new to the FAOL BB but the FAOL website has been one of my favourite websites for a few years and I have learned a lot from exploring it. After I discovered FAOL I have become interested in building my own fly rod and I almost certainly will build my first one next winter. I want a good line on the upcoming "masterpiece" so that is one of the reasons I posted my question.

Usually the rivers and lakes open for business 1st April or 1st May and you can be fishing in temperatures below freezing point. I was once fishing in -2?C it was tough because the line kept freezing in the guides on the rod but it was fun and the temperature rose up above freezing point later in the day. Not many lines will be without memory in that kind of situation and I will not be looking for the impossible.

Anyway about the Rio lines my brother has one on his 5 wt (I don't know which kind of Rio line he has), he only got it this summer so it is not fully tested yet. He let me try it and I loved the line and indeed it seemed to have no or at least very little memory.

So I was already interested in the Rio lines before you mentioned them. So thanks to you I am even more interested in the Rio lines.

Rio Selective Trout II could very well be a good choice for me since I mostly fish for Brown Trouts and Arctic Char but hardly ever for Atlantic Salmon. There are local shops that sell Rio lines and I am sure to get some good advice about which one to buy.

Jon

i like my Wulff triangle taper for winter steelhead fishing. very little memory and many times the guides are freezing up.

never personally fished it, but have some friends who have used the scientific angler xps series of lines. they liked em. specifically made for cold water fishing.

I don't get any real memory in my Cabela's Prestige line. Great stuff.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Another vote for Rio Selective Trout and Sci Angler XPS. The Sci Angler Trout line is also very limp.

Blog Entries

I really like SA XPS lines in part due to their lack of memory. I would advise against a Rio Salmon/Steelhead line. The one I bought on the advise of a flyshop employee was a horrible cold water line, never did straighten out the coils from being on the reel.

Dennis

So far the following lines have been recommended both here and in an Icelandic BB as memory free or near memory free lines:

Rio Selective Trout II and Outbound
    Snowbee XS
    Wulff triangle taper
    3M Scientific Anglers XPS, Trout and Sharkskin
    Cabela's Prestige
    Jim Teeny Long Shot
    LOOP Opti-Stream and Stillwater
    Cortland 555
    Airflo (newest type)

A few of these lines are not available locally but I can order them online. There is obviously a jungle out there but there seem to be a few lines that have little or no memory. This is going to be a headache for me!

What about lines with interchangable tips? I have one from Airflo 9 wt used on a two handed rod which is ok but it just does not feel right on a one handed rod. I am not sure that I would like such line on a lets say 4 wt one handed rod. I did see a promising line from Rio Coldwater VersiTip http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=14

What do you guys think, is this line usable on a light weight one handed rod?
    Jon

Jon,

I'm probably not going to offer up much "new" in the form of suggestions to try. I second (or at this point in the post, third or fourth) the opinions offered on the Rio Selective Trout lines. I'd also mention the Rio Nymph line as a line worth a look. I've used the "Nymph" line on some pretty frigid days in pursuit of steelhead. While the majority of the techniques I use on the Lake Erie tribs is confined to relatively short line casts I've been really happy with the performance and lack of memory in this line in the coldest conditions (air temps below freezing and water in the low 40's F range).

You've got a bunch of good recommendations so far, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Isn't it nice to have choices!
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread