+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rocky Mountain National Park

Hybrid View

1. Default Rocky Mountain National Park

I have a business trip to Longmont, CO coming up, which gives me a half day to fish. I'd like to fish somewhere in RMNP for Greenback Cutthroats. Anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't matter if it's river/stream or stillwater fishing - it just has to fit in the half day timeframe (it sucks, I know).

mAngler

If you're after greenbacks and only have half a day, then the Roaring River on the North side of the Park is your best bet. You enter the park through the Fall River entrance, continue on past Sheep Lakes and follow the signs to the Lawn Lake Trailhead. There's a pretty steep climb at the start of the trip that can take a lot out of you if you're not used to the altitude, but once you hit the top it gets a lot easier and their are plenty of fish. You can call Grant at Estes Angler to get the latest info. Almost any destination that has greenbacks will require some strenuous hiking.

If the Roaring River climb is more than you want to do, then you can work the plunge pools coming down from the top. It will require some rock hopping and scrambling, but there are some nice fish to be had; just watch your step.

Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

the st vrain is another river that has greenbacks. it also is easier to get to and fish. go to wild basin entrance and go to end of road, park and start fishing up stream. you'll catch fish.

Default Rmnp

Lily Lake is about 5 miles south of Estes Park on Highway 7. Parking lot right by the road. Lots of Greenbacks. All catch and release. Great belly boat lake ( small) Estes Angler and Kirk's Fly shop on Estes should have other suggestions.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

5. Thumbs up

Thanks Grizzly Wulff, rizeye, and Paddy... The information is much appreciated and will hopefully be put to good use.

mAngler

+ Reply to Thread